Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey1234_gw

New Construction Windows - On Ocean - Hawaii

Jeffrey1234
11 years ago

We are in the foundation stage of our new home construction phase. The home is on the ocean, on the windward side in Hawaii. It gets battered by salt 50% of the time.
The house will be stucco exterior. It has (7) large sliders throughout the house that are spec'd out by the deisigners to be "Fleetwod" Bronze Anodized Aluminum.
The windows were spec'd out to be wood constucted on site -fixed panel with some "Breezway" jalousies.
We have since changed from wood constructed on site windows, to possibly Fiberglass, or some other material (maybe bronze aluminum) to match the slider doors, and prevent future maintenace nightmares with exposed wood.
Have looked at Milgard/Anderson/Marvin/. Need to have final product be durable in this environment, and be able to be built either with fixed panel with jalousie...or fixed panel with opening to install "Breezway" brand strip hardware for jalousie.
Framers are ready to start...but we are holding off until we figure out this very important component.
Looked at Vinyl, but really not excited about using Vinyl on high end house.
Any suggestions would be great !
Thanks !

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

What about Fleetwood's windows?

• Jeffrey1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fleetwood Windows could be an option...but the jalousie windows need to be incorporated with the fixed window, etc. We have about 5 total windows that have jalousies on both sides - like a 5'0" fixed with 18" jalousies on each side for a total of 8' width. So far none of the fiberglass windows can accomodate jalousies, and only Vinyl windows like Milgard can combine the two.
    We are looking at all options.
    We are checking with both Fleetwood and Breezway to see if they can custom make these....but nothing yet.

• jlw4738
    11 years ago

Hi, we are in the middle of a remodel on the central coast of California. The house is literally right on the cliff and had similar concerns with the windows. During extreme storms we get salt spray on the house and windows. We finally decided on a product from Jeld Wen, they are anodized aluminum clad over a specially treated wood. They have a process that treats the wood all the way through not just on the surface. We had the product recommended by a contractor that builds high-end homes on the coast in Santa Barbara. He also said to keep them waxed with car wax (about 1x/year). We've only had them installed about 2 months so sorry no long term review. However I have seen homes in Santa Barbara that have had the windows installed for 5 years and they looked and operated like new inside and out. I love being able to have the natural wood inside even on the ocean! Hope this is helpful!!

• Jeffrey1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info...
    I had heard the waxing each year does help too!
    We will look into those windows also.
    Right now, our materials supplier has given is 3 choices:
    Milgrad Ultra - Fiberglass/Fiberglass
    Milgard Essence - Fiberglass/Wood Clad
    Anderson 400 - Aluminum...Vinyl/Wood Clad

Looking into these furher...which one is best.
    Thanks again...!

• dhwc
    11 years ago

Hi Jeffrey congratulations on your new home construction, Kaneohe is a beautiful side of the Island. I wouldnt be too helpful as far as the type of window that you need, it sounds like you know way more then me as far as the material, however when it comes to the jalousie glass I would recommend obscure slats because its easier to keep clean and hide the smudges, not the prettiest but the less headache. I clean windows around the whole island and the clear slats are definitely breath taking but twice as long to clean which ultimately means pricier for the homeowner. Just something to think about, aloha!

Vinyl jalousie frames are nice because the no rust factor but I see why you think its not high end enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Window Cleaning professional

• window_mike
    11 years ago

I would add Marvin Integrity to that list. Fiberglass is the perfect material for coastal applications. Also Marvin just upgraded their coastal warranty on their Aluminum clad window. 20 years on finish with no exclusions and non pro rated.

• Jeffrey1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info...

We have changed most of the jalousies to double hung now, because the Fiberglass windows are easier to get in that style, plus we really like them. The sliders are a challenge...we were spec'd out for Fleetwood Aluminum, but a recent scout to a neighbors house with 7 year old Fleetwood Aluminum sliders changed my mind. Heavy corroison. Looking at Vinly by either Flletwood or Coastal Winows here in Hawaii.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If I were in a coastal area, I would go with either vinyl or fiberglass.

• kay2000
    11 years ago

Might I add CGI Windows and Doors to your list of options? Impact Glass and very pretty.