Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krish_win

Gilkey or Simonton (HD) or Soft-lite

krish_win
14 years ago

Oh boy...never thought purchasing replacement windows would be this time consuming!!

I am looking to replace about 11 windows and a Patio door. I had narrowed it down to Gilkey R9 or Homedepot Simonton 6500 series. I ruled out Renewal.

Reading through other posts, they both seem very expensive. I read that its probably cheaper and wiser to contact Simonton directly than going through HD. Not sure why but Simonton's website doesnt work. Also Simonton seem to have just the double pane which seem to be less efficient than Gilkey's triple pane R9. Gilkey equals Simonton to their R4. In the meantime I read some good reviews about Soft-Lite. They seem to have triple pane windows - Emerald series. I have a feeling that will be pretty expensive too.

I am confused if I should call a Soft-Lite dealer or if I should simply go with Gilkey.

Any inputs or comparisons between the 3?

Comments (4)

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Simonton does offer triple pane. I don't know why you are having trouble with their website. I was just there and it works fine. I'd try again as Simonton is definitely a better window than Gilkey.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    14 years ago

Simonton and Soft-Lite are both solid brands.

• krish_win
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks.

I was impressed with OKNA 500 and I decided to go with that. Triple pane, Argon, foam-filled (deluxe pkg). Its similar to Soft-lite and less in cost.

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Good choice.