Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gilkey or Simonton (HD) or Soft-lite

Posted by krish_win (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 14:49

Oh boy...never thought purchasing replacement windows would be this time consuming!!

I am looking to replace about 11 windows and a Patio door. I had narrowed it down to Gilkey R9 or Homedepot Simonton 6500 series. I ruled out Renewal.

Reading through other posts, they both seem very expensive. I read that its probably cheaper and wiser to contact Simonton directly than going through HD. Not sure why but Simonton's website doesnt work. Also Simonton seem to have just the double pane which seem to be less efficient than Gilkey's triple pane R9. Gilkey equals Simonton to their R4. In the meantime I read some good reviews about Soft-Lite. They seem to have triple pane windows - Emerald series. I have a feeling that will be pretty expensive too.

I am confused if I should call a Soft-Lite dealer or if I should simply go with Gilkey.

Any inputs or comparisons between the 3?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gilkey or Simonton (HD) or Soft-lite

Simonton does offer triple pane. I don't know why you are having trouble with their website. I was just there and it works fine. I'd try again as Simonton is definitely a better window than Gilkey.

o

Simonton and Soft-Lite are both solid brands.

o

Thanks.

I was impressed with OKNA 500 and I decided to go with that. Triple pane, Argon, foam-filled (deluxe pkg). Its similar to Soft-lite and less in cost.

o

Good choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here