Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmjoe_gw

Replacement windows with laminated glass

NMJoe
10 years ago

Hello,
I have received a quote on a locally manufactured vinyl window using laminated glass in a standard dual pane configuration. The window sales person is coming over today because I have some questions based on the wording used in his quote, but I am hoping that you all can provide some feedback before he shows up.

He is saying that the laminated section of the window should be on the inside of the IGU because if the SB70 pane is place on the inside of the IGU, it will build up too much heat between the low-e pane and the laminated glass and the laminated glass may fail due to the heat buildup. What are your thoughts on this? We are going with laminated glass for both security and noise reduction. I've only had the quote a very short time, but everything I have read in that short time shows the laminated glass traditionally going on the outside of a dual pane IGU.

Are there drawbacks to his proposed configuration?

I hope to get some feedback before he arrives, and will also post more once I can speak with him.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Comments (6)

• oberon476
    10 years ago

The salesman is both wrong and right...

He is wrong that putting the coating on surface 3 (laminated glass outboard) would result in lami failure due to heat build up, but he is right that putting the laminated glass inboard is an appropriate configuration since SB70 is intended to be a surface 2 coating.

However if the laminated glass was manufactured using tinted glass, then heat build-up could be a problem, but that would be true even if the outside lite wasn't laminated..

Whether to install the laminated glass inboard or outboard comes down to window company preference. There is no particular advantage either way in most cases.

I suspect, but really have no particular data to support my suspicion, other than personal experience, that mounting the laminate inboard is probably a little more common that mounting it outboard...but that's really not much more than an informed guess on my part.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

If the company has initials AJ, be careful, their frames are very flimsy.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Oberon...making an informed guess...my word.

Joe...what window is being quoted?

• NMJoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

WoW,
    It is a locally manufactured window, made by Glass Rite. They source their glass from Oldcastle out of Denver, then put the IGUs together in their local shop (including adding the argon). Nice, patient people, but just not a lot of info is available on these local guys.

He said they almost never sell laminated windows, so he was unsure of the specs (what glass or membrane is utilized), but is going to find out for me.

Thanks for the input!

Joe

This post was edited by NMJoe on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 13:46

• fenmaster
    10 years ago

Check the written warranty to see if laminated glass changes the IGU warranty.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

WoW...LOL!!...There ARE over a thousand window companies in North America ya know!

Joe,

Although I don't know specifically where the raw glass for your windows would be coming from (I would guess from either one of the two closest Guardian float lines at DeWitt, IA or Corsicana, TX, though), Old Castle will almost certainly be using Saflex interlayer from Eastman Chemical (formerly Solutia and before that Monsanto) in the laminated glass.