Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Etched Glass Window in Living Room?

Posted by wilson1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 14:27

When I bought my house, the two windows in the living room were covered by sheers. Pretty, but there is not much light and they block out a lot of it. I don't love the view and was wondering if it would look weird (my daughter thinks so) to take down the sheers and put in wavy glass and a little etched glass to blur the view. It wouldn't block light or entirely block the view. I like the idea of etched glass, or beveled glass, or wavy glass, but I know it is usually used in bathrooms, not living rooms. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Etched Glass Window in Living Room?

What about etched just at the bottom? What I would suggest is actually to get frosted film applied, the people who do window tinting can do it.

That way if the windows are decent you don't have to replace them, and if subsequent residents, or you, change your mind you can peel the stuff off. I don't know if it would adversely affect low-e glass if you have it, but most of these films are good safety-wise as they will hold the glass together if it shatters.

o
RE: Etched Glass Window in Living Room?

Pjb999, that is a good suggestion. Are the tinted-window people the only ones who have that film? I don't know if the windows are low-e, but they are definitely not anything high end - I was considering replacing the entire window but I seem stuck right now on what is the right thing to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here