Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Sliding Patio Door - Window World Price Tempting!

karenmaness
14 years ago

We have an odd-sized patio door (88" wide, currently 3 panels with the door in the middle) that we would like to replace with a 2-panel slider. We've had some of our windows replaced by the local Pella office (and have been satisfied) so I called them back out to give a price on a new patio door. Their installed price was about $5000. At that price, we won't be doing the project any time soon, although our old door has foggy glass and we are very tired of the kids slamming the door! I stopped by the local Window World office yesterday and the salesman gave me an estimate of about $1400 to replace the door with an all vinyl slider (with low E and argon). The price difference between the two options is huge, obviously. My trim outside and in is all white, and the aesthetics of vinyl don't bother me. This patio door is under a roof that covers part of our deck, so it does not get direct weather or much direct sunlight. We are very tempted to go for the Window World door since at that price we could go ahead and do the project before spring/summer when we use our deck constantly. Anyone have thoughts / insights on the vinyl Window World option, or have suggestions on other things to consider here?

Comments (34)

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

I would suggest lots of research before dealing with WW. There's reasons for the huge price difference. There are a lot of very good doors you can get for under $2500 installed that will last a lot longer than WW doors.

• karenmaness
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, skydawggy. Could you suggest other manufacturers that might be good to look at?

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Milgard, Simonton, Gorell, just to name a few. I don't know what brands are available in your area. After you look at a few, post back and I'll comment. As a general rule, I'd stay out of the hardware stores when looking for quality. There should be a few showrooms in your area where you can go and view some other brands.

• karenmaness
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, my husband and I went to a Home Show a few weeks ago and I learned that he is not a fan of vinyl inside the house. So we are back to looking at the clad wood options. I've had our odd size (88"W x 80") patio door quoted in 3 different products, all custom sizes of course. All are for aluminum clad (or vinyl clad in Anderson's case), with Low-E/argon glass. These are purchased price only, not installed.

Marvin - $3809

Anderson - $2290

Peachtree - $2017

The installation contractor said he really likes the Marvin slider, but wow - what a price jump! The Anderson and Peachtree options are very close, so I would tend to pick Anderson due to the longevity of the company, which hopefully means they will be there if you need them years down the road!

Any thoughts?

• nhermsen_cox_net
    12 years ago

I had two windows replaced in my house by Window World and I can tell you that the windows are great! They do not let ANY outside air in and they have a DOUBLE LIFETIME WARRANTY, meaning you get the warranty and the next person can have lifetime warranty too if they pay $50.00 to transfer the warranty.

Even if a neighbor's lawn mower would throw a rock through the window, it is covered under the lifetime warranty. If they can not fix it, they replace the whole window.

Only downfall is they are a little slow on getting out to service, but usually within the same week.

I honestly can not beat the price, and quality, or warranty with Window World!

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

So let me see if I understand. You bought 2 windows from WW and you have already needed a service call to fix something. But you think the windows are great and you don't think the quality can be beat?

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Your service would be slow too if you only paid your guys $30 a window and had to pay them to go out and service a window that that they didn't know how to fix.

The biggest issue I have with WW is that their installs are so "lazy". Huge air gaps left in-between windows.

• Dave Grace
    8 years ago

Window World pays the same as most of the replacement company's and the installers do a good job, I have had several windows with Window World and they are Great and the installers did a great job. I would recommend them.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Interesting first post.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Window world is for budget minded comsumers who arent the least bit concerned with quality.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    8 years ago

Window World does NOT pay the going rate in this area, and is not ashamed to admit it. They tell the installers that they will make it up on volume as they will be installing more windows per day. I'd rather have my installers slow down and do the job right the first time, even if it means an extra day at the job.

• Dave Grace
    8 years ago

Nice sales job, nobody ever heard of Ultra windows I have Window World windows and there great and the installers did a great job.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago

Dave Grace, you are obviously affiliated with window world, a consumer would never submit a post like you did.

ultra windows is correct, window world pays their workers less than the going rate and claim they could make it up in volume. Thats all part of window worlds infamous corner cutting.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Is the Ultra the pocket sill window that gets debris in the channel and can leak to the inside?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

In my area, "discount" window firms pay about half of what higher end companies pay their installers. Consumers can draw their own conclusions as to how that will affect the quality of the install, and of the person working in their home.

• D N
    8 years ago

As a 15 year customer of Window World I can tell you that their windows are excellent!! We have had absolutely no problems in any time we have needed any information or service. When we did have a window replaced because it was broken by neighbors who were mowing, it was very quick and cost us absolutely nothing. Super quiet, warm, easy to clean, these are great windows. My brother-in-law went with very expensive Hurd windows and doors. They have problems and the company has been sold a couple of times in 15 years and their lifetime warranty is now void. The guy that said he was not happy with Window World was probably a competitor and didn't want you to get the best stuff out there. I am happy to give you any information you may need. Happy to send you pictures if you want. Let me know.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago

Give me a break D N, a normal consumer woukd never join a website just to tell the world how great their windows are.

you are obviously an employee of window world.

• fridge2020
    8 years ago

Take it easy master. People join websites all the time to make one and only post about how happy they are with a purchase that they made 15 years ago! lol

• PRO
    8 years ago

Definitely an interesting first post. I am going to go post up about the Intel 486 chip that was in my first computer now. Thanks for reminding me.

• jordjb71
    7 years ago

I have to say that these posts are interesting. I will simply add this. I had Simonton windows installed and love them. My in laws had Window World install their windows for about one fourth the price. Quality is not the same, since they bought the lowest quality window from WW but overall, pretty good, and the install was excellent. I say that as a pretty competent home DIYer that did a full $100K renovation of my home. They've had their windows for about 10 years now and they have experienced no problems at all, while I had one Simonton window break a seal and get replaced about three years after installation. The WW windows have not faded and look brand new when clean. Bottom line, for way less money, they got windows that have done extremely well and show no sign of problems after one decade. Just thought I'd provide a personal story about WW windows. I'll also say that when my in laws recently said they wanted to change out their two patio doors and asked me my opinion, I told them I'd go with WW since they've had very good luck so far, and at a great savings.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

Jordjb71

if your inlaws were the least bit satisfied with the laughable quality of window world, you have to really wonder how low their criteria was when it came to you.

• friedajune
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

When we did have a window replaced because it was broken by neighbors who were mowing

How did that happen? This, I gotta hear.

One of the giveaways that a post is spam is nonsensical statements.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Also I'll add that most of the ww stores started making the installer that was making $35-$40 a hole pay for their own materials. What happened at the store I was at is the installers were either not using at all or skimping on foam insulation and buying using the cheapest caulk and thinnest trim coil they could find. I had a customer call me one time after the installers were finished and say that they threw all of the old windows and trash in the dumpster that he had, (remodel), and that there are several caulk tubes etc but no foam cans. He tore of the trim and guess what, no insulation. Also forget about ever shimming a window, they'd look at you cross eyed if you brought it up.

• fridge2020
    7 years ago

$35-$40 a hole is pathetic, and that number is accurate. That's the type of pay that gets a druggie in your home installing Windows. With a helper and expenses that's like $10-$12 per hour.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    7 years ago

Oh and this one time (i really don't expect anyone to believe me because it's so unbelievable) but I went with the store owner to drop off windows at a customers house because the installer didn't have a truck only a car. Hours later the customer called concerned because it's been like four hours and he is not finished with even the first window... and I can't make this up but I go there and the installer is literally screwing in the window with a screwdriver,handheld, not a screw gun/drill but with a screwdriver. Lol

• PRO
    7 years ago

Not even $10-12 per hour at that point. Figuring on even cheap caulking, coil, and foam (if it gets used) and it is probably sub $10 per hour with debris disposal. I guess this is why we see windows stacked up in dumpsters from time to time with the drive by trash dumpers. You are not working for $10 an hour as a quality installer.

• fridge2020
    7 years ago

$10-$12 was with the company providing Coil, caulk, and foam. You are right, it's probably closer to minimum wage if the installer is providing at that rate

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

Where I was from they had to pay for the Windows and those catchy adds on the radio as well, but they were still making a few bucks an hour.

• fritz995744638
    4 years ago

We had Window World windows installed on our entire house. We love them! I ran across this when I was searching for WW to contact them about installing a door. I had to comment.

The windows look great. The installers were on time, professional, and did a wonderful job. Definitely not " drug addicts " mentioned in an earlier post. 10 years later and absolutely no problems.

I do not work for WW, nor am I affiliated with them in any way other than being a satisfied customer. Why would you think that anyone who leaves a positive comment must be working for the company? Ridiculous. It seems that a few are going out of their way to discredit the company with a mouth full of sour grapes. Maybe they work for overpriced, horrible pushy salesmen, competitors

• fritz995744638
    4 years ago

Also, about the lawnmower/broken window scenario: that happened at my house but to a car window. When a metal blade spins that fast and hits a rock (or other hard object) what do you think happens? Laws of physics people. Not everyone loves in plastic suburbia where rocks in lawns apparently never happens. So lol right back at you.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Fritz995744638

your comments are absurd considering window world is a budget window with a budget door. Im guessing you live in a trailor park? If not, i would love to see what your home looks like. I also imagine you work for window world based on you feeling the need to comment on a such an old post.

• Nancy Rosenthal
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have had a whole house of windows installed from Window World on two homes. I installed a nice sliding door from them on my current home. It's been in place for over five years. WW continues to be an excellent product. I buy their mid to upper range products only. My door is sturdy, heavy, but slides easily. They use a double latch lock. I love this door. No air infiltration and I receive many compliments. The issue with WW, is who installs the product. The offices are independently owned. I would research your local WW installers. I would absolutely use WW again.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Always interesting when that is a first comment that you have posted. Seems...contrived. If it isn't, great. But you can appreciate our skepticism.