Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sliding Patio Door - Window World Price Tempting!

Posted by karenmaness (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 14:00

We have an odd-sized patio door (88" wide, currently 3 panels with the door in the middle) that we would like to replace with a 2-panel slider. We've had some of our windows replaced by the local Pella office (and have been satisfied) so I called them back out to give a price on a new patio door. Their installed price was about $5000. At that price, we won't be doing the project any time soon, although our old door has foggy glass and we are very tired of the kids slamming the door! I stopped by the local Window World office yesterday and the salesman gave me an estimate of about $1400 to replace the door with an all vinyl slider (with low E and argon). The price difference between the two options is huge, obviously. My trim outside and in is all white, and the aesthetics of vinyl don't bother me. This patio door is under a roof that covers part of our deck, so it does not get direct weather or much direct sunlight. We are very tempted to go for the Window World door since at that price we could go ahead and do the project before spring/summer when we use our deck constantly. Anyone have thoughts / insights on the vinyl Window World option, or have suggestions on other things to consider here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sliding Patio Door - Window World Price Tempting!

I would suggest lots of research before dealing with WW. There's reasons for the huge price difference. There are a lot of very good doors you can get for under $2500 installed that will last a lot longer than WW doors.

o

Thanks, skydawggy. Could you suggest other manufacturers that might be good to look at?

o

Milgard, Simonton, Gorell, just to name a few. I don't know what brands are available in your area. After you look at a few, post back and I'll comment. As a general rule, I'd stay out of the hardware stores when looking for quality. There should be a few showrooms in your area where you can go and view some other brands.

o

Well, my husband and I went to a Home Show a few weeks ago and I learned that he is not a fan of vinyl inside the house. So we are back to looking at the clad wood options. I've had our odd size (88"W x 80") patio door quoted in 3 different products, all custom sizes of course. All are for aluminum clad (or vinyl clad in Anderson's case), with Low-E/argon glass. These are purchased price only, not installed.

Marvin - $3809

Anderson - $2290

Peachtree - $2017

The installation contractor said he really likes the Marvin slider, but wow - what a price jump! The Anderson and Peachtree options are very close, so I would tend to pick Anderson due to the longevity of the company, which hopefully means they will be there if you need them years down the road!

Any thoughts?

o

I had two windows replaced in my house by Window World and I can tell you that the windows are great! They do not let ANY outside air in and they have a DOUBLE LIFETIME WARRANTY, meaning you get the warranty and the next person can have lifetime warranty too if they pay $50.00 to transfer the warranty.

Even if a neighbor's lawn mower would throw a rock through the window, it is covered under the lifetime warranty. If they can not fix it, they replace the whole window.

Only downfall is they are a little slow on getting out to service, but usually within the same week.

I honestly can not beat the price, and quality, or warranty with Window World!

o

So let me see if I understand. You bought 2 windows from WW and you have already needed a service call to fix something. But you think the windows are great and you don't think the quality can be beat?

o

Your service would be slow too if you only paid your guys $30 a window and had to pay them to go out and service a window that that they didn't know how to fix.

The biggest issue I have with WW is that their installs are so "lazy". Huge air gaps left in-between windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here