Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thezdorsch

Installing Flanged Windows

thezdorsch
11 years ago

How are you installing flanged windows?

I am preparing to install several Simonton windows, but am having a difficult time finding compatible materials for the window installation.

I plan to use roofing felt as my weather resistive barrier instead of house wrap. Since I am using something with asphalt, my selection of flashing tape is more limited--it seems Vycor Plus or Protecto Wrap BT25XL. I have not been able to find Protectowrap locally, so I plan to use the Vycor Plus. Now to my actual compatibility issue...

The Vycor Plus lists that caulking the window flange as unnecessary with their sealing tape, but if caulking is necessary it must be non-hydrocarbon sealant. The Simonton installation instructions specifically state sealant must be used behind the nailing flange. I have not been able to find anything that is non-hydrocarbon (I take this to be basically the same as no-VOC). Am I missing something here?

Has anyone else run into this compatibility issue (I have seen this problem mentioned on other sites, but no solutions)? What are you using to install windows?
Thank you!

Comments (4)