Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirraf69

Wincore 7700 Series as New Construction

sirraf69
10 years ago

Would there be any negatives/problems with using Wincore 7700 Series as new construction? The dealer states the 7700 is a replacement window, but can be ordered with the nailing flange on it? Thanks for any information.

Comments (27)

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Not really any such thing anymore with the vast majority of vinyl windows. They are all 3 1/4" jamb depth (for replacement) with nail fins and jamb extensions simply added for new constuction.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

There are some threads about pretty high air infiltration rates.

Are you trying to build a tight and efficient home?

Probably not the window for that if you are.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

windowsonwashington,

Are you referring to Wincore specifically or replacement windows in general? I got the thermal and structural numbers for the 7700 series and they look pretty decent(as much as I know about windows anyway). U-Factor .30, SHGC .21, VT .41, and Air Infiltration of .08. As far as tight and efficient house. We will as much as possible in budget. We will not be doing foam insulation, but will be using a lot of calk/spray can foam.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Where are you located? Unless you are in a hot climate, those numbers are not going to be ideal. Even then, they are less than impressive. The AI at .08 is higher than where I'd like to be, but not too terrible. It is the thermal ratings that are not great at all. That will be some dark glass, you'd hope that you'd at least get a better u factor as a tradeoff. There are products not too far off in price that will get .26 u factor, .29 shgc, and 50 vt by comparison, with a better AI rating to boot.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1 to HomeSealed feedback.

You can, for just a few bucks more on some material choices and proper sealing, build a really tight and efficient home.

Besides the bulkiness of that frame and general mediocrity of the numbers, there are some prettier options out there as well.

Are you the GC on the project?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am the GC and I live in KY. What would be some suggestions for windows that are in similar price range? I priced Andersen 400 series and they are out of our budget range. Also priced ViWinco and Polaris. ViWinco is similar priced, but Polaris is similar to Andersen. Also open to the suggestions for more efficient building for the few bucks more. Thanks for the replies

• PRO
    10 years ago

Sirraf,

Feel free to email me and I can Google chat you from there if need be.

Too much to type.

Surprised to see Polaris near that Andersen number though.

Have you look for Sunrise or Okna?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I'm just not too experienced with windows. The Wincore performance ratings are right there with the Andersens. I'm not sold on any window. I'm just trying to get the best for my price range. I have a total of 20 units. The Andersens & Polaris where quoted around 10k. The Wincore are around 7.5k. I cannot find a dealer in my area for Sunrise or Okna. My options may be more limited than others. In this area Silverline, Andersen, and Quaker are prominent, with some other brands such as ViWintech, Comfortview, Alside, & ViWinco.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Which Polaris was quoted?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Polaris were Thermaweld

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Why are you comparing to Andersen windows? They have a less than stellar reputation for energy efficiency and air tightness. Especially Silverline which are total garbage.
    Same with Pella, poor performers.
    Kentucky has okna, i believe the company is "America's Windows. "

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Which Andersen product are you looking at? They really offer no apples to apples comparison to a quality vinyl product. The wood window has an entirely different set of pros and cons (compared with vinyl) as does their composite, and their vinyl offering is very much low-end in terms of performance and quality in my experience.
    As for the Polaris, I'd say that the Thermalweld is comparable if not slightly better than the Wincore, but I'd prefer their Energy Wall product, or at least the Ultraweld.
    If you are considering the Andersen wood, I'd recommend first deciding what material you are interested in (wood or vinyl) by determining your prioroties for the project, and then trying to compare apples to apples products.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't heard of them. Just looked them up. They are about 70 miles away. Guess I didn't have my mile radius enough. Thanks for the info.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quoted Andersen 400 series

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got a quote for Jeld-Wen Premium Series, but have read a lot of negatives on here about Jeld-Wen.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just contacted american windows and they will not sell the Okna for new construction. So that takes the Okna out of consideration. Seems like my options are minimal.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

I'd narrow your material choices first as I mentioned earlier. Performance, price, warranty, etc tilt the needle toward vinyl, beauty and richness toward wood.
    Generally speaking, if you are okay with the appearance of vinyl, it offers a better bang for the buck. Just make sure that you get a good product because there is a lot of junk vinyl floating around out there.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are definitely getting vinyl. I keep going back to the Wincore. I think it is going to be the best window for our budget. I may regret it later, but I don't have many options in this area. Especially since some don't offer it in New Construction. I contacted a dealer for Sunrise and they gave me the same spill as Okna, "no new construction."

This post was edited by sirraf69 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 17:45

• PRO
    10 years ago

Okna does make a new construction window but I am not sure Americas windows is allowed to sell direct.

How far are you from America's windows by drive?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm about 1 1/2 hours away. They stated they only had replacement and would not even give a quote.

• PRO
    10 years ago

If you looked at the Okna and decided that you really wanted it, I could call them directly and see what they could arrange but I don't want to rattle the saber if you are not that interested.

Let me know.

Eric

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington,

I would be interested, but price is a concern as well. Would they be comparable to the Wincore price? Thanks for the help and input on this.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Probably somewhere in between the two numbers you have now.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent you an email windowsonwashington.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Probably went to the "info" email address. I am sure they will forward it to me tomorrow.

• carmeldolan
    5 years ago

Sirraf69 - did you end up going with Wincore?