Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some advice on replacement windows

Posted by geosulcata (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:55

We are going to be putting in a window where a chimney was. We will eventually be replacing all windows on the house, so the style of window we choose for the area where the chimney was could affect the whole look of the house. We aren't sure whether to use side sliding windows with no muntins or vertically hung windows with muntins. The problem we are having is some windows are short and very wide, others are taller than they are wide, and some are just huge (the two covered by the palm trees at the front of the house.

Our home is in FL and the neighborhood is homes on 2 acres with all sorts of houses and window styles from ultra modern to FL cracker style.

I would love suggestions!

Untitled

Untitled

The photo below shows where the chimney is 1/2 way down. This window will be 63"x63"

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some advice on replacement windows

Which type of look/operation do you prefer? In those openings, you could really go either way, or do a mix of both. That is fairly common as well...
The advantages of sliders would be a lower price (less total units), and you would gain additional glass area. On the downside, slider are generally leakier than double hungs, however you will have less lineal feet of sash and weatherstripping with the sliders, meaning less area for potential leakage.

o

+2

You have a mixed bag there.

What look do you like and go with that.

Awnings, Casements, and Tilt and Turns are also and option.

o

I want it to look simple and modern. I think I will either go with sliders (no muntins) or vertical windows (no munitins). I want white vinyl windows as we put them in at our last house and they were so easy to open and close. I am just not sure if it would look better with a single sliding glass window or with side by side vertical windows (as it has now).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here