Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What waterproof sealer to use on wood windows

Posted by desertmarcy (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 11:34

We are building a greenhouse structure using used tempered glass from sliding glass doors. The builder is building the wood frames using TimberSIL (a wood/glass composite material). I would like to seal the wood first--I'm asking for recommendations for a good wood sealer that will withstand the hot Arizona sun. Deft and Cabot brands are readily available here. Deft makes a clear water-based polyurethane; Cabot has a clear water-based silicone type waterproof sealer, but their website says recoat every 1 or 2 years. That is too much maintenance for me. Suggestions? The wood will actually not be exposed to the outside since the glass will cover it but there could be humidity build up in the greenhouse (or not--this is Arizona)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What waterproof sealer to use on wood windows

Pretty sure most all sealants will need to be reapplied periodically. Try looking in Flecto products, they used to make a liquid plastic protectant that actually created what the name implies on the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here