Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pgt or cgi hurricane impact replacement windows

Posted by kay2000 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 11:21

We are in South Florida and want to replace our windows. We have heard that CGI laminated windows with annealed glass are pretty much distortion free. PGT laminated windows use heat-strengthened glass that are stronger, but tend to cause some distortion. Since we will still use hurricane shutters, we prefer to go with distortion-free CGI windows.

Is anyone familiar with the CGI product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pgt or cgi hurricane impact replacement windows

Heat strengthening impact resistant glass improves wind resistant performance - which results in a higher DP - but it does nothing to improve impact performance.

The downside of tempering or heat-strengthening the glass in any laminated make-up (as you noted) is an increased chance of distortion becase of non-parallel surfaces in the two lites that make up the laminate.

I would almost always suggest annealed glass in any laminated make up, if it meets windload / DP requirements, and you want to minimize potential glass distortion.

o

Thank you so much for that information. I'm so happy to read a confirmation on what I had heard here and there. Since we will continue to use our hurricane shutters when necessary, I think we'll be happy with the annealed laminated glass. Thanks again!

o

Follow up: We installed CGI Hurricane Windows, aluminum casement style to replace our awning windows from the 1970's. We are extremely happy with them. When ordering them, I was asked if I wanted clear glass or green tinted glass. I thought the green tint would look too commercial, and possibly affect the daylight shining through. When looking outside, the clear glass is perfect, but from the outside looking in, the glass looks almost black unless you have a window covering directly at the window. We usually keep our blinds/curtains open, so the glass looks dark from the street. When the blinds are down, the clear glass appears as it is... clear.
On a large "picture" window, a different glass had to be used due to the large size. That window decidedly has a greenish tint and I can see the effect of the outside light shining in through that particular window. It is listed as "clear" glass, but there is a greenish tint. Just fyi.

o

Three year update on CGI window installation. We are still enjoying our impact windows and have since installed CGI French Doors on the patio. Excellent quality and appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here