Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting cedar clapboard and capping

Posted by pjs755 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 10:27

Okay,
I'm back for another round. The house has cedar clapboard and we are going to paint this year. One of the two prospective contractors sent the following:
"In looking at your house,(from a picture, he has not been out to the house) in my opinion if you are going to paint it I would suggest painting the trim as well, I'm not a big fan of mixing the wood siding and aluminum trim, plus it saves you over $1000."[

So, he's suggesting no cap at all. Is he, as my old man would has said, "full of ****"? I had the impression from my education here that full cap was the best overall answer. Please explain further...

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting cedar clapboard and capping

It depends on what you want the end product to look like. He is a proponent of wood trim, he is not wrong just a different opinion.

o

agree with millworkman

o

If capping I think it looks better if the Soffit and fascia as well as the window trim is all wrapped. Well maintained wood is hard to beat in my opinion especially on homes from the 20's and older.

o

well said Todd
pjs, keep in mind your window contractor is NOT responsible for capping fascia and soffits nor should he be expected to. We are saying capping window trim looks better if those area's are already capped.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 12:39

o

I also agree with todd, if capping you would want to cap ALL the trim including corner boards if there are any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here