Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing sash lifts: any placement rules of thumb?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 9:53

Hi,

My DH is about to install sash lifts on some of our double-hung windows, and is asking me if there are any rules of thumb to follow about placement along the bottom rail.

And, I don't know! :-)

Are there any ergonomic rules of thumb about what placement would make it easier to lift up the window?

And if not, any opinions on what you think might look good aesthetically?

There are two sash lifts per bottom sash. The sashes are about 32 inches wide (sorry, I'm doing it from memory because I'm not at the house this moment). I was originally thinking to space the two evenly within the bottom rail.

Thanks in advance!
Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing sash lifts: any placement rules of thumb?

I would mount them around 8" and 24" on center, they will not look proper if spaced evenly on center. Make sure to mount them high enough on the bottom rail to give clearance for fingers between casing or stool.If these windows open easy you could also go with one lift as well.

o
RE: Installing sash lifts: any placement rules of thumb?

Hi, thanks toddinmn!

We looked at what you suggested by holding the lifts up to those spots -- and you are right, that spacing looks good! Thanks so much!

-Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here