Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High SHGC windows

Posted by scottwood2 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 9:50

Hi Everyone

I am looking to replace my south facing windows with replacement vinyl windows. I have a lot of glass on the south side here inMichiganand I like the idea of having high solar heat gain coefficient windows. My other windows are Wallside and I am happy with them.

I am having a very hard time finding windows with this High SHGC that are not too expensive. Wallside does not offer this option at all. I did find North Star windows but the warranty is not as good as Wallside.

I am thinking now of just forgetting about it and just get the Wallsides to match the rest of the house. Any thoughts on this?

My current south facing windows have no coating now and my furnace rarely ever runs on sunny days. I like that a lot. I also have two big trees that help block the sun for the summer months.

Thx in advance

Scott in SE Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High SHGC windows

I'm having the same problem. We have determined that Marvin can special order windows with the Cardinal LoE-180 glass but it will be very expensive. Today I used the Efficient Window Collaborative website and pretended I was in Alaska -- rather than Massachusetts -- and looked at what came up for high SHGC double glazed units from the USA. Sunrise came up. Will look into those.

Please post here if you find something.

Regards, Deb

o

With Cardinal glass you will want 180 or i81 glass.

With PPG glass, you will want Sungate 400 or 500 glass.

More than likely though, either one of those will be special order since most window companies will not use them regularly.

o

Look for a manufacturer that uses a Cardinal glass package in their offering as they have the most varied offering of high SHGC glass out there right now.

Sunrise is a great window and is in your backyard and uses Cardinal if I am not mistaken.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/reference/loe-performance-stats/

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardinal Low-e Glass

o

Thx for the replies.

I did look into Sunrise. I like the window. Their website has glass options but does not show anything with high SHGC. Maybe I should call?

I did find North Star windows. They are out of Canada. The price is good and I like the specs.

I am questioning if I should just buy the windows that match the others in the house. Maybe the heating savings is not really worth the extra trouble to get the High SHGC ones. Maybe that is why they are so hard to find here?

o

This thread is making "special order" sound like a very difficult and expensive option. It may add a few dollars to the square footage price (over standard low e) and take a week or so longer but it is not a big deal to a competent window person.
As to the appearance difference (a 180 vs 272 Cardinal glass), there will be differences but in most cases, you can't tell unless you look very closely. I wouldn't have that as a primary concern. There have been other threads on that topic. Look them up.

o
RE: Windows

Call Sunrise.

I am sure they can order the glass you want.

o

I'm a Sunrise dealer and I asked a few weeks ago if it was available from Sunrise. It isn't available, at least at this time.

o

Thanks for the heads up John.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here