Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

Wraparound or Folded Glass Window - Where Do I Get One?

lee676
12 years ago

I will soon need to replace a window that wraps around the front corner of the house offering a view from the dining and living room, that look similar to the windows in the corner of this room:

The view, of course, is bisected by the pillar between the front and side glass. I thought it would be way cool to put a single piece of glass with a 90-degree fold in the middle to provide a panaramic view. So I Googled a bit, and can't seem to find them, although I've seen them on houses before so somebody must make them. Part of the problem is I don't know what they're called. Wraparound windows? Folded glass? Hotwire bent glass? (it's made by placing a hot wire vertically across the glass and folding it). The windows don't need be openable.

I can't find a picture on Google Image Search of a building with this type of window, but I did find one on a car:

That's a 1978 Oldsmobile, so this technique has been around for decades. What are these windows called, where can I buy one, and what do they cost?

thanks!

Comments (10)

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

^ this guy.

You want commerical style for Double paned glass.

Google "butted glass" for pictures.

• lee676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, now that's more like it!

That's exactly the look I want. If they're too expensive, not reliable enough, or not readily available in my area, I may settle for a thin strip at the intersection rather than the thick post that's there now. I wasn't thinking how difficult it would be to make double-paned butted glass.

I would have never thought to search for "butt glazed corner" or "butted glass" - thanks! I'll check for availability and pricing from local installers and get back to you.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Oh they will be expensive either way you can count on that. The above picture which actually shows what I referred to as "Bent Glass Corner Unit" will be very expensive while the butt glazed will be considerably less (but still not cheap). One other thing to consider is whether the corner post of the window needs to be there for engineering purposes, meaning that the header and the wall may not carry the load with that mullion removed!

• lee676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think it's load-bearing - in my window the whole central post is a wood 4" x 4" and deeply recessed on both sides, but how do I know for sure? (I'll try to get pics of the actual window up soon).

Wow, Marvin Windows and Doors makes a corner unit made of a single sheet of glass with a small-radius curve at the corner - not even a thin line where the two flat panels of glass join (page 3 of this PDF). That's a "bent glass" corner?

But I don't see many vendors for either type. Who can sell me a butt glazed corner window in the eastern US? It's about 4' tall, and each side is 3' wide. I'll settle for a thin strip at the intersection; don't want to spend a fortune (though I would have sprung for the expensive bent glass if I had the view like the one I showed!). How much more $ are we talking about for butt glazed vs. 4x4" post?

• lee676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh, the existing 4x4' post identified as a "wood mullion" in the archetect's blueprint, if that helps. Late-1940s house.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

to determine if it is load bearing and structural you would need an engineer to do calculations. I myself would look at a commercial aluminum type window for this application and most quality contract glaziers or a good glass shop should be able to help you with it.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Most of those houses had steel poles in the corners (some covered by wood. If its there, then its definetly structural.

Best way is like mill said, get an engineer or at least a good builder (licensed) to come out and get in the attic to look at it.

Commercial aluminum is definetly the way to go.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Marvin discontinued bent insulating glass in 1999 as noted in the PDF linked above.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

I think this picture says it all.

If you know the reference...you are good people in my book!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations