Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowabucks_gw

What type of windows do i need?

iowabucks
15 years ago

First off i should say i'm not much of a carpenter. I can do basic stuff, but never tackled anything like windows. I have a 50 year old house that has wooden windows. I blew in insulation in the walls and attic last year. This year i would like to replace the windows, myself. Hopefully next year, vinyl siding.

I've been trying to do as much reading as i can on this topic but i'm not sure what type of windows i would need. Replacement windows or pocket windows? I really don't want to tear everything up to put in new construction windows, but if that would be the best way to go, i would consider it. How much more work is involved from pocket windows to replacement windows? Is there any other type that doesn't require alot of experience to replace? I plan on doing it myself, so it would have to be fairly easy. I was also going to try to go with windows from my local Menards. Put it on the card to make it easier. Crestline, Jeld-Wen, Pella. I know Pella is good, but the others are not so great. Average priced windows is what i'm looking for i guess.

I do hopefully want to replace a couple of the double hung windows with sliders. I as guessing i would have to enlarge the opening in the wall for that. My neighbor just had some contractors replace all their double hung windows with Elite 4000 sliders. Looks great.

Just trying to look for some direction. Thanks in advance for any input. Jerry.