Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowdowntohurryup

Best 'less than $300' window?...

slowdowntohurryup
12 years ago

Was wondering what the thoughts were about a quality window in the mid $200 - $300 range. All the builders we have talked to are all stuck on vinyl windows, almost like they won't even look at anything else.---selling us on the $120 window the local hardware stores sells... (really!?!)....

We have 35+ windows and the house be of a rustic motif (if you know of any that would look better or worse...)

thx

Comments (16)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I would suggest talking to a few reputable window dealers and getting their input. Your builder is not focused on providing quality products. In fact, I would be very suspicious of all his recommendations from now on.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

+1 on what sky said.

But beyond that, finding a $300 window to fit your "Motif" may be a little difficult. I would recommend a vinyl window such as Simonton 600 (if you want the wood look they have that) and they offer different style locks besides white.

If you want wood windows, I don't know if you will find anything below $400.

• slowdowntohurryup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...as far as the builder(s) go - they just seem to default to the vinyl and really dont have much of a recommendation after that. the ole "you can spend however much you want" line.

we dont necessarily need/want wood -- just dont want the cheapest thing out there b/c..well you know the saying.

we have seen the simonton vinyl at a Marvin dealer - yet he only had the 100% vinyl as a display. we noticed either online or in a brochure they had some that were wood interior/vinyl exterior---yet we havent really heard a lot about simonton in general. Its more like there are a ton of vinyl window companies are there these days and really havent heard of anyone standing head and shoulders above the rest.

we did look at the Marvin Ultrex and they seemed pretty nice and we may need to research them more. The price in general on the windows was in the $250-$275 range - some more some less. The one oddity after looking at the quote was that on all the windows - except our 36x72's low II w/argon was either not included or was not priced out. They added the Low E and Argon on the 72's and that jumped the price of the window up to over $600. (base price was the most expensive already at $390ish)...

maybe someone knows that answer about the argon...(I'll probably check with the dealer and see what they say as that was the first time i noticed it...)

in general was looking to see if there were any other options out there that wouldnt break the bank.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Wood, Vinyl, Fiberglass.

Those are going to be the most recommended I believe. I personally don't like Fiberglass, but that is an opinion based on the fact that I dont' like Pella's fiberglass windows.

Simonton only makes vinyl windows (at least the last time I looked). They make a vinyl window with a wood grain similated interior that I think is one of the best out there.

Do you have a specific "problem" with vinyl?

• eoz3106
    12 years ago

We are in a similar situation as you. We have narrowed it down to the Simonton Brickmould 300, NT Energy Master, and the Andersen 100. We initally wanted the exterior divided lites, but they increased the cost too much.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Adding argon gas to a windows glass package should add maybe .50 cents a sq ft or on a 36" x 72" window approx $18 to $20 to the price of the unit

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Okna, Sunrise, Softlite, and Gorell are the cream of the crop in vinyl windows for my money... Then there are some very solid b-level choices like Simonton and Plygem. Obviously that list is not all-encompassing, and people have their own opinions, but those are mine.
    In wood and fiberglass I like Marvin.

• slowdowntohurryup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will take a look at some of those vinyl companies.

Overall I guess we just don't like the appearance of vinyl - and havent seen one that jumped out at us (not that we are building something like this - but we have seen $500-600k houses with Spoke with the company that quoted the Marvins and they said the $200+ option was for a tempered window - not just for adding argon as the windows already were priced out with Low E and Argon (will have to reseach that more to see if we need more or less - located in LA). Maybe we already have our answer an we need to focus more on whether or not the ultrex or ultrex/wood is the way to go.

any experiences either way would be helpful - have looked at past posts on the ultrex's and havent really found anything negative about them (comes down to $$$ like most things)

thanks

• eoz3106
    12 years ago

Homesealed - Plygem has tons of lines, which ones would you suggest in this price range? I've been told you have to pay attnetion to the line with them. Thanks!

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

eoz, where are you located? As you've said, Plygem is a huge company and therefore offers different products under the same name in different regions. In the East and Midwest, I like their Premium line as a solid choice. This window is formerly known as the Great Lakes Grandview 5000. On the west coast, I have heard varying stories on what product is offered, but either way, it is not one that would be high on my list. The most recent thing I've heard is that the product formerly sold as the Certainteed Bryn Mawr series is the "Premium" offering out there, and that is a poor choice imo. Flimsy extrusion and leaks air like a sieve.

• eoz3106
    12 years ago

Homesealed - We are in Houston. Similar to slowdown, our builder wants us to use Alenco which are the cheapest ones. I've narrowed it down to NT Energy and Andersen 100s at this point. Any help would be awesome!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

If you are Houston, I would call Ultra windows or email them for advice on windows.

Not a fan, personally, of the Andersen 100. If you are going with Andersens, go with the 400's.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

you will NEVER find a quality vinyl window for $300 . high quality vinyl is going to last and probably be the most energy efficient out of all the other window materials.
    300 bucks is just unrealistic and i would be very suspicious of any contractor steering you towards low grade windows that you will invariably be tearing out in 5-7 years if not sooner.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

@mmarsel. Really? I sell a lot of Gorell (white DH) for less than $300 in most cases out the door. They are not a quality vinyl window?

Cause if not, please tell me who is.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

mmarse, i think that you may have missed the fact that the price is window only, not installed... or at least that is the way that I interpereted it. A good window can be purchased for $300 or less, but I agree that one cannot be installed for that price...
    Eoz, in Houston, I'd actually recommend Ultra as well. Ask for Randy. He is a great guy that will steer you in the right direction whether you choose to do any business with him or not.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

wow gulf breeze, i wonder how you pay your bills then. i guess you dont want much out of life by selling that cheaply. im sure other gorell dealers would not be too happy about that but i guess thats ok if making a few hundred bucks a week is enough to support you and your family.
    homesealed, i hear ya, point taken.