Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsbakal

Anyone use Milgard Ultra or other fiberglass window?

jsbakal
18 years ago

I am interested in a fiberglass product because I have had it with wood rot and maintenance on my Caradco windows and think that fiberglass sounds like a great option. These are not popular in the Chicago area although I understand they are popular on the West coast. I went to a reputable authorized dealer today that was pucsing Pella last year but now they are puching Loewen. I'm sure I could get them to order me the Milgard windows but I got the feeling I was twisting the salesman's arm. Anyone use a fiberglass product and is Loewen better than Pella?

Comments (29)

• norcalbl
    18 years ago

Integrity by Marvin is coming out with an all fiberglass product, but in limited types of windows, around April. If you can wait until Summer, they may have most of the line released. There won't be any wood interiors on these windows which I am guessing will also keep the price down from their standard wood interior window.

• cal_dreamer
    18 years ago

We purchased Milgard Ultra wood-clad for the cabin we are building, and Ultra for the bathroom window. I'm happier with the bathroom all-fiberglass window than I am with the wood-clad. (Seems kind of pricey for the quality of rollers they use.)

I love the fiberglass outside - we bought the dark brown, which goes great with our woodtone siding. I just could not stand the thought of white vinyl frames in the forest, so I'm really happy with the way the dark fiberglass frames look.

Good luck!

• jsbakal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How were the Milgard Ultra windows priced compared to wood window options? I know they will cost more than Vinyl. You seem to imply that the "rollers" are not of high quality. Do the windows seal well and are they easy to open? I wish I could find some local homeowners who used these windows a few years ago as replacements and see what they think of them now.

• TommeCA
    18 years ago

We installed Milgard Ultra replacement windows in our home approx. 5 years ago. They have performed very well. We instantly were impressed by how quiet the house became, not to mention the temperature stability. We have one casement window that got a hitch in it (difficult to close) and Milgard sent out a customer service rep (on a Saturday) who replaced the mechanism, no charge.

One of the reasons I selected fiberglass was that I could paint the frames, if I ever wanted to. I ordered the windows in a beige/almond for the exterior and white interior. I very seriously considered ordering the wood clad for the interior, but when looking at the cross section of the sample on hand, it was such a meager bit of wood, it just didn't seem like it was worth the cost increase (particularly for our home/neighborhood).

We ordered our windows through a local glass and sash store. They had the best pricing and provided great service. I was able to play around with a variety of configurations to see what worked best and provided the best value for the project. The pricing on the windows has come down some in the past 5 years (we recently installed two new Milgard Ultra as part of a home addition), but the pricing on the sliders is still quite high (when compared to vinyl).

• raypji
    15 years ago

milgardwatch, what do you think about marvin line of replacement windows? just starting to check out windows to replace 25 in my home.

• ava2351
    15 years ago

Milgard can't ship with Argon to the East coast. We want fiberglass in and out and are thinking about Marvin - also Comfortline. Does anyone have experience with Comfortline?

• ava2351
    15 years ago

Hi Milgardwatch: do you have any opinion as to their casement windows with fiberglass interiors? I'm told that some Milgard are now manufactured n Chicago because of the argon issue, but not sure they've gotten to casement production.

Is there a line you recommend of full-fiberglass casements (Inside and outside - NOT wood clad) short of ordering from Canada? I think Marvin has just introduced one. Comfortline got a couple of truly awful reviews on here.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

So what are the best choices for Chicago area? I'm interested in this, too. Please reply!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

The Integrity is a very nice window as is it Infinity brother.

• mtow
    13 years ago

Fiberglass windows:
    Everyone has been trying for years to solve the window question with fiberglass. "Owens Corning" (you know the in the pink) They gave up the effort years back. So that should tell everyone something! There has been literally more companies that have tried and given up on this type of product because of the following listed obsticals.
    Â A few companies that are still trying to offer an incomplete line up of products, windows and support fiberglass shapes.
    Â Pella
    Â Marvin " Integrity"
    Â WeatherShield
    Â On and on
    The basic problem lies with;
    1. Holding the glass in place within the sash, with attaining water and air seal, not to mention water tight corners.
    2. Special shapes or combinations, thus holding the units together.
    3. Various other plastics or vinylÂs must be used, Resulting in product fade issued as well as reliability issues.
    4. Glass is glass! Thermal Issues in some climates unless 100% thermally separated inside from outside.
    5. There is a very good possibility of paint adhesion problems down the road if you paint them! "one of the reason they include the color in the pultrusion process.
    On the plus side, if you only need single (stand alone windows) fiberglass could be a good choice, replacing the glass and avoiding cracked glass is another concern, due to the grove glazing or glass stop problems.

Advice: Once you paint you probably will be painting again and again!
    Take the factory finish or move onÂ

• afsa
    13 years ago

mtow, where in the hell do you come up with this information of yours. It's not even worth responding too.

• dgmarie
    13 years ago

ancient thread...but we are using 8 Marvin fiberglass in the garage because of the low maintenance and the fact that in rainy and cold seasons we get tons of moisture in the garage when we park the cars. I wanted no muss no fuss.

• willinak
    13 years ago

Mtow's been drinking the kool-aid again!

• mzk1
    13 years ago

I'd love to hear an update on Milgard Ultra if anyone has one. As for Corning, THE fiberglass people, they've just announced a new fiberglass window line, Innovisions. I'm REALLY interested in Milgard since they have seem to have nice options. In my area, N. Cal, I know people who swear by them but I don't know anyone (yet) who's installed the Ultra (not wood clad) line.

Thanks. All this has been very useful

• desertwest
    13 years ago

Very helpful information, window-man! Any news on Pella's "reformulation?" And performance-wise, would you say Andersen's Fibrex is closer to fiberglass or vinyl?

BTW, the Andersen Renewal rep I talked to last week said the product has a lifetime warranty and it is transferable if I sell the house. The Pella Impervia rep sais the warranty that covers defects is not transferable; there is s 20 year warranty on the glass that is transferable. 2 year warranty on labor (I think she meant install?).

• noreply_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We installed Milgard Ultra fiberglass last summer. Painters tape used peeled the paint off leaving a speckled mess. They are refusing to help and blaming the stucco people. Yesterday I put a piece of blue painters tape on and immediately peeled it off. It removed about 30% of the paint. Not sure how they will resolve this but my current vote is a negative. So much for baking on the color at 300 degrees or whatever.

• csg2
    10 years ago

We just received a quote for $6900 for 8 large Milgard casement fiberglass windows installed in our home in SF Bay Area. Is this a fair amount? We only have another quote to compare it to which quite a big higher.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Similar workscopes?

That is a very low number for a fiberglass casement.

• pcalvano
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This thread is a long time ago, but I am hoping to get in contact with noreply_gmail_com (three comments above) as I have a client that has the same issue with their Milgard fiberglass windows and would be interested to see how it was resolved for them. Is there anyway to get the contact info for someone who makes a comments?

• kimra johnston
    7 years ago

we are considering Milgard fiberglass for new construction. All the above comments add to our concern. Can anyone comment on whether Milgard warranties cover ocean front construction? We have heard mixed reports and it is too big an investment without the warranty inland construction has as is in their information. Comments and facts are very appreciated!

• pcalvano
    7 years ago

Would not recommend Milgard fiberglass. The finish is not yet perfected. My client spent hours getting this issue resolved with Milgard. Milgard ultimately replaced the windows that were damaged by painter's tape, but the finish on the new windows is not much better--they know that they will have to be extremely careful, use no painter's tape, and hope for the best. I would have concerns about installing these for an ocean-front setting.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

What are the air infiltration ratings on the Milgard fiberglass double hung?

fiberglass windows are notoriously high in air leakage. Just curious.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Milgard Ultra fiberglass only has single hung, no double hung; I went to their Simi Valley factory/showroom. Their Tuscany line has double hung. I was impressed with how easy it was to pull it in to clean the outside of window as compared to the Pella vinyl I tested at a Pella showroom. I was impressed with Pella’s wood with aluminum clad exterior but everything else, vinyl and fiberglass, looked very low end. The finish on the Pella fiberglass had a wrinkly texture that looked cheap. I am concerned with comments about the Milgard Ultra fiberglass finish peeling. Has anyone else experienced this? We are planning on replacing all the windows and frames on our stucco house in SoCal so I want to get this right. We have white trim inside and out so color not an issue.

• Edo Ku
    3 years ago

Good point Stephanie, i would also like to know more about this "finish peeling problem.

I'm in Sacramento area and I am looking to replace my old windows.

Please, anyone!! Thanks

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

We have had our Milgard Fiberglass windows for over two years now and we LOVE them. We bought with the nickel hardware and they look great. I have no idea why there would be peeling issues. They seem like solid material all the ways through.

• Edo Ku
    3 years ago

Thank you Stephanie

• HU-170185287
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

DO NOT BUY MILGARD ULTRA CASEMENT WINDOWS

THE LEVER MECHANISMS IN MOST OF THE WINDOWS WE BOUGHT WAS DEFECTIVE AND CAUSED THE FRAME TO CRACK

THE FRAME BROKE IN SEVERAL WINDOWS (SEE PICTURE BELOW) AND THE REST WE SIMPLY COULDN'T TRUST THE REST. THE COMPANY AGREED RELUCTANTLY TO REPLACE THE 4 BROKEN ONES BUT WE ENDED UP REPLACING THE REMAINING ONES FOR SINGLE HUNG ONES. THIS IS THE WORST WINDOW COMPANY IN THE WORLD. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM

• bkalbus
    8 days ago

It's 2024 now. Will someone please give a recent review of their Milgard Ultra Windows.