Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Window spacing question

jsweenc
14 years ago

I'll see if I can make this question clear. We'd like to order windows tomorrow (orders are placed only on Fridays). We can wait another week if we have to.

The building supply our GC works with uses Monarch. I'm fine with that; they think they are good windows.

We will be going with clad casement windows, replacing a 10' section that includes a bit of a french door, wall cabinets and one double-hung 36" vinyl window, going with 5-6 casements. They will be centered over a 10' run of new counter/sink.

My vision is to have 6, in 3 sets of 2. I think the 2 outer sets would be fixed; only the center one would be vented.

Ceilings are 8', height of windows will be either 42" or 48". I'm leaning toward 48, bringing them down to the counter. Most likely we will bump out onto the deck to have space behind the sink (GC says this is "unusual", but he's not on GW). The sink won't be centered under the windows (probably on the right edge of the center set) so we will need to bump out the whole 10'.

To get my 3 sets of 2, I can do one of three things that I see.

1) Six 12" windows, with each set of 2 spaced ~1.5", and in between each set and the outside of the span ~3".

2) 3 sets of 12" french windows, with a little more than 3" between each set and on the ends.

3) 3 sets of 24" windows with center stiles to give about the same effect.

12" windows seem very narrow to me, but I'm not sure it would be any different in effect than having 24", and I think it would look better than the 24" (or at least more of what I am envisioning). Any thoughts about the differences in these three options? Any other options?

Wall in question

{{!gwi}}

Windows will extend from right of DW to 1' past counter in photo (counter to be extended that far); door on far right will replace french doors; doorway on far right will be walled in to receive range

Favorite inspiration; ours will be minus the top row and I'm guessing that the span is larger than 10'

{{!gwi}}

From Things That Inspire

Comments (3)