Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdez1

Low budget builder wants high budget windows

jdez
10 years ago

I'm in a bind. I have probably read most everything on the window forum. We are building in South Louisiana. I knew from the beginning that our builder allowed $2500 of our budget for windows. He said there was no way we would go over that. And if we buy what he and the rest of this area usually buys, we won't. We want vinyl. I already knew that most of the brands recommended on GW are not available anywhere near me, but I figured I could at least get a name brand from a big box store with a decent warranty, like Anderson 100 or Jeldwen. Even though they are not the best, I would have a warranty. But if I do this, I will probably go over by double the budgeted amount. The only thing I can find in my area that might be a quality window is Weatherbarr and I can not find any comments on it by doing a search on here. I have no idea if I should pursue this brand. I am willing to double my budget for windows but these might be even more. So, my question is, given my current choice of builder grade Croft and Ply Gem in vinyl or aluminum, is it worth it to double my budget for the big box crap just so I will have a longer warranty? And has anyone ever heard of Weatherbarr? And has reading the window forum truly educated me or has it turned me into a "nothing is good enough for me" B?

Comments (3)

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

yikes! Big box store garbage will cost twice the amount of the local offering!? That does not speak well to that choice.
    Has this forum made you a "window B"? Maybe, maybe not. if there is any one thing that it should leave you with, it is that that name recognition means squat. Look at ratings, both thermal and structural, and reputation among pros is more important than a household name.
    Builder choice products AND box store offerings are likely to disappoint. If you want something that will last 20-30 yrs until technology deems it obsolete, you'll need a high end offering regardless of whether it is wood, fg or vinyl

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks karateguy

• annalywhite
    10 years ago

hello,
    there is also good option that get this windows done from custom made windows maker as you can negotiate price and also they will arrange the Brand you want in good price.You should not pay too much amount on that as its not good offer.