Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy27_gw

Marvin Ultimate Weatherstripping Color

Jimmy27
12 years ago

My 70 Marvin Ultimate Casement windows arrived this week and 50% have been installed. They are the Bahama Brown color to match the existing exterior casing in a 1910 tudor. We arrived this week to inspect the work.

The problem is, they have BEIGE weatherstripping. It looks terrible with a light-colored rectangle around each window.

Question: Are these windows available with a dark or black weatherstripping?

If they are available, shouldn't the rep have known this and advised us of this?

What recourse do we have at this time?

Can they be replaced at this point? Can they be darkened in any way?

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Considering that you should have a full screen going on the exterior, it shouldn't be noticeable. The beige matches more interior stain finishes better and that is why they choose that color.

• Jimmy27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are all casements, so the screens are on the inside of the windows.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I am 99% Marvin does make a bronze or dark brown colored weatherstrip. You would have to purchase the product and pay to have it installed at this point because of the fact that the original order was more than likely placed with the beige as a default choice. The windows from what I can remember can be ordered with the different color weatherstrip but it must be selected on order entry in the Marvin computer program.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

Millworkman is 100% correct. Beige is the default weatherstrip. Black is an option. The question should have been asked or was merely passed over. It can be replaced in the field.

• Jimmy27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I will look into it further with the rep.

• Jean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have the same problem, my newly installed Marvin Ultimate casements are the dark Evergreen color. They have BEIGE weatherstripping and when I first looked at them from the outside, I thought, "What is that light-colored line around all the windows? It looks like dust needs to be cleaned out of the corners." Upon inspecting it closer, I saw it was the beige weatherstripping. The look of the windows from the outside is awful. At the lumber store where we purchased the windows, their display window is in the Evergreen color and has black weatherstripping, which looks great (the weatherstripping is basically invisible against the Evergreen color). When ordering the windows we were never asked about what color weatherstripping we wanted. I think the lumber yard that placed the order should have known not to let it default to beige. They order the Evergreen color all the time (we are in the north "cabin" country.) In my opinion, Marvin should not have the weatherstripping color default to beige in the first place. They should make it necessary for the orderer to actively choose the color (mistakes like this would be avoided). The beige color bothers me enough to want to have it replaced in the field with black. However, I do not think I should have to pay for that to be done. Marvin should have known better, too, and they should take responsibility, as well. I am sure if they would have double-checked with the person that placed the order, it would have been changed to the more appropriate black color. I will be checking with my contractor about this problem.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Marvin cannot possible double check every order that way. This is strictly on the dealer, they entered the order that way (granted beige is the default and maybe should not be), they also double checked the acknowledgement that stated beige weatherstrip. Also somewhere along the way the order was signed off on by either a contractor or yourself. I am not saying you are wrong or that it should not be beige or that it should have been black, just stating facts. Have you spoken to the window dealer about this?

• Jean
    7 years ago

Not yet, but plan to soon. We never signed off on anything, but they did give us a printout of what they were ordering. I just looked it over, and yes, amongst all the other details, it did say beige weatherstripping. How is a regular consumer to notice that, and know that the weatherstripping would stick out on the outside like that? Yes, I agree the dealer is responsible because he didn't verbally tell me I had a choice, he could have shown me the store display (with black weatherstripping) so I could have made an informed choice. I believe it was a mere oversight on his part, being it automatically came up beige. As far as the acknowledgement he signed off on, would he have had to sign off specifically on the beige weatherstripping, or is it just in the fine print with all the other details (like my printout). I also agree that Marvin can't check every order that way, but how many dark green windows with beige weatherstripping are ordered? When it comes to something where it clearly looks odd, and the choice was a default, a Marvin rep could have made a simple phone call (just my opinion).

• millworkman
    7 years ago

"but how many dark green windows with beige weatherstripping are ordered?"

In the overall picture realistically a very, very small quantity. Yes the printout they signed off on would be very similar to what you received (believe when I sold Marvin I made the same mistake). And in all honesty Marvin does so much outside of the norm that nothing surprises them, ,meaning unfortunately the color of the weatherstrip is the least of their concerns.