Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwells28

Disapointed in new Okna Sliding Patio Door

mwells28
9 years ago

Hi all. I'm new to this site and wonder if anyone has had a problem with the Okna Elegante Sliding Patio Door? I have the three panel door which was installed in December and a few weeks after the install I noticed that my living room was very cold (I live in Pennsylvania) and felt a lot of air leakage along the bottom and on the side where the door opens. Noticed that the installer did not caulk/cap the bottom which they came out to fix, however, I can still feel some air leakage on the side of the door where it opens and now it's making a loud squeaking noise when I open/close. Could this be a defective door or just a poor installation? I purchased it because of the performance rating, great reviews and elegant appearance.

Comments (7)

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Hard to say without a thorough inspection, but sounds like this is more than likely an installation issue. The Okna door is very substantial (some may say heavy) and very thoroughly weatherstripped. This can result in a firm operation, but I can't say that I've seen any abnormal air leakage... It's a very tight door.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

The squeaking and the air leakage complaints are almost assuredly installation issues.

That is not to say that there cannot be product issues from time to time but these sound like an install issue.

Have you talked to the installer/company yet?

Where in PA are you located?

• mwells28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I believe it's an installation issue as well. I did talk to the installer/company and they are sending someone out this afternoon to take a look at it. I live in the Wayne (Chester County) area. Hopefully, this will get resolved. Thank you for your message.

• dcrem
    4 years ago

I have some questions about my patio door.

Does this look normal?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

Not sure what the 1st picture is showing me (i.e. the screen latch), but the remainder are "normal" in the sense that accurate to the door. If I were adjusting the door, I might raise the active panel slightly to more engage the weather stripping. Did you raise these concerns to your installer? There are blockers that are installed to limit airflow through those interface points.

• dcrem
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I didnt want to bother the installer for something that I could resolve.

I was wondering if there was a different style latch that was recessed in the screen door. The latch makes contact with the jam wall. and not the actual frame of the screen.

I can raise the door but my actual issue is the middle interlocking weatherstrip between both panels. The top of the door has in and outward play. If i press on the door, from the inside, it will make more connection with the middle interlock weatherstrip. resulting in no sound from outside between the two panels.

outside view: The bristles dont even make contact with the door.

inside view: From the bottom section all the way to the top, I can see the strip become less compressed.

Last photo: stationary panel outside view.

I was wondering if the panel should/can be raised higher. Or it needs to be tilted to lineup the interlock?

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hard to tell. if there actually is a problem im sure a simple adjustment can resolve it quickly.

i have zero issues with that door nor have a heard of issues from other dealers. Its one of the best patio doors i have ever installed.