Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frost55

new window feels drafty- Simonton

frost55
13 years ago

I had premium triple pane windows Installed this summer with low

E argon. The install was done correctly.however, when its real cold I feel a draft from the glass, not the meeting rail or jambs. Picture

An ice cube in front of your face and you can feel the cold. Why is this with triple pane? 9800 with super spacer..double hung. 32x50

Comments (5)

• OhioWindoze
    13 years ago

Frost, perhaps you are still feeling whats known in our industry as a "thermal draft". This is a normal occurence on existing windows or lower end windows as warm air from your furnace rises in the room and quickly cools and drops as it reaches your window glass. This guick "drop" of cool air is most likely the draft you feel. With triple pane windows this is dramatically reduced and I am surprised you feel it or is actually noticeable. I would verify your triple pane glass package from your Simonton dealer and also confirm the presence of Low-E on your glass. With a triple glazed Low-E glass pack, the surface temp of your inside window shouldnt be more than 10-15 degrees off room temperature and you shouldnt have that large of a "thermal draft" if any. good luck~

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I would check the weep holes and make sure they aren't open. Then I would call the installer back and have him check the lock and keeper to make sure the window is sealing properly at the meeting rail. If neither of these 2 solutions solve the problem, I would make sure the installer didn't bow the frame by over-tightening it. Often this can be solved by just loosening the screws and the adjusters.

If all else fails, your installer can get some jamb blocks from Simonton and install them. This is likely an installation issue and has nothing to do with the windows.

Lower end windows...right!!! No window will perform well if it isn't installed properly. More likely a low end installation but typically less experienced installers will blame the window.

• OhioWindoze
    13 years ago

Skydoggie- i was simply offering a suggestion of confirming the glass was correct. He mentioned the install was done correctly and felt no air at the meeting rail or jambs on his post originally. Perhaps it is an install issue, but without seeing the window we are both just guessing.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

No matter what you do, windows have a relatively low R-value.

Heat moves through them far easier than an insulated wall.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Well, the only solution then would be to brick up every window opening and install external video cameras with a 36x54 plasma TV mounted on the wall instead of a window. : )

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler