Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiest_gw

Re-insulating around windows

dawiest
11 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of insulating around the existing windows in my 1972 split level house in Central PA. There is fiberglass insulation in the gap around the window. I have removed the wood trim from around the windows.

The gap around the windows varies, but it seems that it is filled with fiberglass. Some areas are brown, showing that air movement is a problem.

I am looking to replace the insulation with Great Stuff window foam. From reading around on the forums here, I have found that compressed fiberglass insulation is worthless for insulation. I am under the impression that air sealing is more important then R value in this case.

What all do I have to remove? I have already removed the trim, but there seems to be a second piece of decorate trim that is around the window, which the other trim was attached to. Do I have to remove that to get at the framing around the window for spray-foaming?

Should I remove as much insulation from around the windows as I can? How should I go about cleaning off the surfaces around the window to allow the optimal adhesion from the spray foam to produce as tight a seal as I can?

The gap varies on different sides of the window, and there is a plain wood 'frame' behind the stained trim pieces. how should I get the spray foam in around the wood where the gap is to small between it and the drywall? Should I cut away a bit of the drywall (being sure to leave enough to reattach the trim later) as to fit the nozzle of the Great Stuff spray foam inside, or should I just apply some of the foam directly to the wood and just cut away the excess? Or should I caulk the gaps that are to small, and with what kind of caulk?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daryl

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Don't bother with removing those additional pieces unless they are covering some large void. Even in that case, you can drill a hole and fill (don't overfill) that section.

Shop vac out all the old fiberglass that you can readily get to. The issue is not insulation as much as it is stopping the air (as you noted). That being the case, a small skim layer to seal the envelope would accomplish about 85-90% of the value of the retrofit.

Do yourself a favor and get a foam gun. Don't bother with the straw stuff. It is more cumbersome and less controllable.

Make sure the can is warm and slightly mist the area that you are going to apply the foam to. These low pressure foam are water based cures.

Don't worry about making the substrates super clean. Once you work with the foam, you will quickly realize that it sticks to everything.....trust me.

Do not try to fill the larger void in one pass. You will get over expansion and leave yourself with a mess inside, outside, or both.

Fill the gaps with multiple passes of the foam if they require a larger fill.

Get some disposable tips for the gun and don't remove the can from the gun unless you have another can going on the gun. This will prevent the foam from curing in the gun barrel.

Thankfully these guns will still be available after the Executive orders.

Good luck.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Perfectly stated.
    Only thing I can add is that yes, it is a good idea to cut the drywall back. It will make the foam application much easier and as you mentioned, it will be covered back up by the woodwork.
    I'd also reinforce the recommendation to get a foam gun. They sell them at the box stores now for around $50. Just make sure that you clean it well between uses. It comes in handy for other areas around the house as well.

• dawiest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What great advice! Thanks for the speedy replies! I was having troubling finding good howto's for this specific fixup! I'll be sure to come back with a followup as well as ask more around the house fixups on these forums!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Sounds good!

Keep us posted and pictures with follow up are always fun to see.