Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Replacing sliding glass door

myrtle_59
9 years ago

Anderson, Pella or something else?

I want one that slides easily, has a decent foot lock and would like blinds or shades between the glass for privacy.

Any info or experiences is appreciated.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

What material do you want?

Wood, Fiberglass, vinyl?

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prefer painted wood inside, something that doesnt require painting outside.

Door goes to screened porch, in a seaside but not beachfront area.

Priorities are slides easily, blinds inside glass, maintenance free, durable. Do not like white rail area as gets dirty fast. Not getting on my hands and knewws to clean daily. House is rental part year, needs to be sturdy.

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

Marvin Ultimate would be my starting point,

This post was edited by bpChiIl on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 1:06

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

That would be my favorite for wood as well bp.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw the marvin yesterday and liked it the best of all i have seen. Shades are out because we do not have the wall depth accdg to the salesman. The salesman did not seem experienced so many questions went unanswered. He just kept telling us to have our contractor answer them. This would replace a 50 yo aluminum slider between den with terrazzo floor and porch.
    I am not sure about the height of the rail. Since we are working with cement floor it would not be easy to do any adjusting to make the rail not stick up too much. Our contractor is very busy now but i dont want to put off ordering as time is of the essence for us, being winter residents at this house.

Any thoughts? I know nothing about this kind of thing. I was surprised to hear the contractor say it would be only a 4 or 5 hour job to install and he would fit{{gwi:807}} it in.

He just installed an anderson where he is working now. I may go with anderson but would pay the thousand extra for the marvin if i knew there would be no extra hassle installing it into this space.

This post was edited by myrtle_59 on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 10:58

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I can't answer your technical questions. I can only tell you that I replaced a Pella wood sliding glass door with the Marvin Ultimate sliding glass door. The improvement is amazing. I also looked at Andersen when shopping, and just looking at it from my non-expert view there is no comparison between the Andersen and the Marvin Ultimate. Marvin's are hugely better. Look for yourself in a showroom and you'll see what I mean. The savings from buying an Andersen sliding glass door, while good, were not enough to justify the difference in quality. Also stay far away from Pella. The only other wood sliding glass door that was as good as Marvin Ultimate was (IMO), Loewen. Loewens are beautiful, but I didn't like the Loewen contractor as much as I liked the Marvin contractor. I've been happy with my choice.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

"I may go with anderson but would pay the thousand extra for the marvin if i knew there would be no extra hassle installing it into this space."

They all install the same way.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you millworkman! If only the marvin salesman could have explained it so clearly.