Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakeyjim

color vinyl windows

lakeyjim
13 years ago

I am deciding on which casement window to buy for a new house. It must be dark brown or burgundy (outside color, white inside) and have looked at several wood/aluminum products. The colors are fine but would be ordered primed interior and painted by my contractor.

However, this is for a very high wind, water situation and I really think vinyl would be better. I'm considering a Canadian product called Solaris which is pricy. So much for "cheap" vinyl because with the color, they cost as much or more than products like Anderson, Pella or Eagle.

I am not worried about fading color on this product. They took me to several existing houses with dark colors that had been installed several years before with direct sun exposure. Even the black ones were nice and I could not see any appreciable color difference between the color sample and the ones which were 3-4 yrs old.

These are not solid color vinyl but painted with some special UV resistant paint. I did note the color could be scratched off if they are handled roughly, but the older houses didn't have any scratches so it is probably an installation issue.

I am hesitating because of the price. The windows themselves seem great and have a higher DP rating than any of the wood/alum products, plus they look nice with the sashes set back in from the frame on the outside, like old time windows rather than flat like many of the others.

Still, they price could be an issue so I thought it would do well to ask if there are any other color vinyl options.

Comments (2)