Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Anderson exterior trim kit??

Sms
11 years ago

Hi All, we are putting in new Anderson A Series windows in a costal location so durability is important.

Anyone have any experience with Anderson's exterior trim kits? Seems like a big labor savings potential but wonder if it would be worth the material cost increase over PVC.

http://www.andersenexteriortrim.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Anderson Exterior Trim

Comments (33)

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

No experience with the Anderson kit, but have had experience with similar Marvin, Eagle and Pella kits. I would rate these kits above wrapping with aluminum coil, trimming in wood or PVC.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Are you saying that you will be covering PVC trim with these?

These kits are a nice coil stock and finish than can normally be duplicated with coil and a break.

If you are doing it for finish longevity, probably a good idea. If you are doing it to protect the PVC trim, I am not sure it is required.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

It depends what you mean by PVC. There is solid PVC, or PVC coated aluminum. Factory supplied trim kits offer excellent fit and finish, but a skilled craftsman can do beautiful work with the other products as well. On some homes, the factory kits can be more hassle than they are worth (in addition to the added $$$)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I agree about the fit and finish Todd, but at a cost of $90 that is a bit more than the cost for a wrap job. For me, factory Marvin kit installed to my customer is about $150, where a trim wrap is $70... Whether that is worth the difference or not depends on the person.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

If you're wrapping windows for $70 and putting in wood to back it for $70 I have some work for you. Seriously you can start tomorrow. In all fairness the Eagle window was not very large and had brickmold trim which would have kept cost down.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Who said anything about adding wood? Even so, probably adds another $25 or so. $60-$80 is the going rate for a wrap round here. Perhaps it is higher in MN? ... They do call it the Beverly Hills of the north after all, lol...

• salbwil
    11 years ago

What exactly is the exterior trim kit? I am having to make a decision very soon regarding azek trim on standard sized ultimate clad or factory applied brick mold trim on custom sized windows. I have been told that the custom sized with the brickmoldcasing trim will be costing much , much more, so am very interested in this "trim kit" .
    Salbwil

• millworkman
    11 years ago

It is made for standard sized ANDERSEN windows from Fibrex. As been said several times standard size or custom size Marvin is the same price, if your purchasing Marvin Clad windows you need to use Marvin extruded Aluminum Brickmold of you want it attached or you can use anybodies Brickmold in the field but using an Andersen trim kit would not be a solution to your trim issues at all!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

My own comments were regarding factory trim kits in general, didn't mean to cause any confusion. As MWM said, and Andersen trim kit won't work for Marvin windows, and the Marvin extruded aluminum brickmold is what it is. Nice product IMO... I know this was discussed on another thread, but we really can't say why your contractor is telling you that it is not available for some of your windows. If you are in doubt, speak to Marvin directly for clarification.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

And as several of us have mentioned previously as well, if your contractor cannot or will not give you what is commercially and readily available from Marvin and is making up excuses it is time to look for another contractor.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

If you are doing full frame replacements You'd typically would have to put up some wood trim to put the aluminum coil over.Using a "factory trim kit" would replace the need for adding the wood.Though no one said anything about adding wood it wood be needed.So That wood bring the cost to about $105 on the low side.Marvin Brick mold trim kit with sill from on a 28x70 window is $130 without mark-up for me.
    I pay subs more than $60 for wraps and $90 may be a bit more but now your range has gone to $70-$80, so were not to far off.
    The azec trim will look cheap in comparison to a trim kit. It will be hard to get a proper reveal even with 5/4. It will not have any profile unless you mill it or build it out. There will be nail holes to fil, joints to glued and would have to be painted unless it is left white.You would also need a top notch installation to come close to the trim kits.I think in the end the Azec would cost a bit more and the trim kit would an almost fool proof.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

You pay out $60 for a single wrap!? Holy cow!!! No wonder we are not on the same page here. I've already mentioned what I charge for both options and I'm not going to get into my costs, but I pay out significantly less than $60 per window, including materials. Our rate is one of the fairer rates in town at that. I know some of the cut-rate dealers pay out $25 or $30.
    On most older homes that get full tearouts, we'll reuse the brick mold if it is in good shape and its going to be capped anyway. No extra cost there ;)

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:37

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

$60 is on the low side for a sub here, even the hacks and uninsured or cash jobs charge more than $30. It is very difficult as well to find a real good aluminum guy, I only have one guy that can handle the complicated wraps.I rarely do any brick mold, most is wide trim with backband and backband with crown mold. Most are in stucco, asbestos shakes, ect.. I can find many that do brick mold, but anything complicated they don't want take the time or just can't do it.

• salbwil
    11 years ago

I have since received yet another quote including the clad brickmoldcasing casing .....this quote on custom windows. The price was not very much more for the windows, but I expected the installation fee , which was quite large from this company to go down as these windows being custom, would match the present windows in size. Thus, be less expensive to install. This quote wants over a thousand per window to install. What is the problem here ? I live in MA, and am wondering if Marvin has seen us coming. our house is a plain farm house type, built in '79 , so no lead paint anywhere. The present windows are two picture windows , two casement that we are changing to double hung (cheaper) , one awning , and one large double hung with a half circle installed directly above .....looks like one window. Husband thought the installation should be around two to five hundred a window, but as I stated, installation was stated at $6775.00.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Marvin does NOT sell nor install windows to homeowners. You are dealing with a Marvin dealer who does installs. As has been mentioned on your posts many times if you do not like the prices your being quoted call another dealer or buy the windows and hire an independent contractor to install. You are yet to give any details about your installation details or pictures from what I recall so there is not really anyway we ca tell you any sort of idea if that is expensive or not. You live in an area where there sound be other Marvin dealers call them or a Kolbe dealer!

• salbwil
    11 years ago

I am waiting for a Kolbe estimate. I will try and take pictures tomorrow. The windows are just plain windows that we are replacing . The outside of the house is clapboards two thirds of the way up and cedar shingles from there to the top......nothing unusual anywhere, which is why we are so surprised at the quote. The inside of the windows is trimmed with flat casing, nothing unusual there either.The only unusual windowis the large double hung with the semi circle above, but both estimates have said they could deal with it.I am afraid that using our own contractor will negate Marvin's warranty.
    As I said, I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I repeat Marvin DOES not install. You will not negate any warranty from Marvin or any other window manufacturer by having you contractor install your windows. Everything I am saying either I or another of the esteemed window gurus on this site have told you at least once. I understand your trying to be thorough but your asking the same thing over and over again. Marvin is about the best wood window you can buy, Kolbe is a very close second if you do not like the install prices find someone else to quote on the install. ONE MORE TIME NEITHER KOLBE NOR MARVIN INSTALL, THE FACTORY WILL NOT WARRANTY INSTALLATION FROM ANYONE YOU ARE DEALING WITH A DEALER THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO WILL WARRANTY THEIR INSTALLATION!!!!

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Thank you. I get it. I have gotten it from the beginning ....I was just not wording it in the correct way. I should have been saying, THE MARVIN DEALER. I was getting the quote from. Actually, I have gotten two quotes from two Marvin dealers. The first , as I stated would not quote me an installation fee. The second quote from the second Marvin dealer, was the quote I told you. I am waiting for a quote from a kolbe dealer who has told me up front that he would recommend a contractor, but Kolbe does not have their own installers. That was nice of him to let us know up front . I do appreciate all your help and honestly was not not hearing you....it was a misunderstanding based on my not using the correct word, I.e. "dealer".
    Thank you,
    Salbwil

• millworkman
    11 years ago

No worries I just want to make certain you understand what you buying and from whom.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I'm somewhat confused now that you are saying that you spoke to a Kolbe dealer that is recommending a contractor? So I assume all of this confusion is because you are purchasing the windows yourself through a distributor, and then hiring a separate contractor to install them? While that is an option, it is not advisable IMO. Anytime that you can consolidate the number of parties that you are dealing with, that is a good thing. It creates more accountability should any issues arise, and it is fewer "hands in the cookie jar", which should result in better pricing. Less opportunity for miscommunication as well. My recommendation is to hire ONE contractor/dealer that will sell you the windows INSTALLED. There are plenty of companies that will do this with either of those products that you are looking at, and in fact, true window installation specialty companies work almost exclusively in this manner.
    Given the troubles that you've had, I would advise getting 2-3 quotes from window companies on the full project, INSTALLED, so that way you can compare apples to apples. I'd also look past any break-down of product vs labor. One company might price their services with the profit built into the product sale, and another built into the installation. Some will not even offer a breakdown... Ultimately, the final cost is all that matters.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I agree completely my suggesting a GC to install was due to the fact that the Marvin dealers she was speaking with seemed to not be able to help her with what she was looking to accomplish and seemingly pushing her towards other products. if I made it seem like I was pushing her that way that was not my intent it just seems to be getting a little convoluted as she is asking advice on her own threads, other peoples threads and as she stated not using the proper terminology which is not helping either and I came across a little strong as it seemed like she was not getting what was being told to her by myself, you and the others on the site.

This post was edited by millworkman on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 10:11

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Hi
    Sorry to be cross posting. I think I have mastered picture adding. This is one of the windows we are replacing. I just talked to Kolbe here in MA and they told me that they only have their own installers for some of their sliding doors . They do recommend some contractors for window installation. One of the people they recommend has done work for us before , so.... this should simplify this part of our mess , anyway.There is another picture in my cross thread.
    Once again, I thank you and my husband thanks you !

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Hello home sealed and mill workman,
    I went to a second Marvin dealer because the first Marvin dealer refused to give an installation price. The second dealer did give us an installation price that I quoted here above. The Kolbe nearest dealer , who is some distance away told me that they do not do their own installations and offered to give us some contractors names. They are the only Kolbe dealer within the New England area, I believe. I wll double check on that now.
    I have added pictures to my last cross post. maybe they will clarify some of my questions.Thanks again!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I see what you're saying MWM, I didn't even realize that I was saying anything contradictory to be honest. These two threads have my head spinning, lol...
    I think that part of the confusion is simply in the terminology being used. For the reference of anyone reading this, a "dealer" could either refer to a distributor that simply purchases a product to sell to the public or contractors such as ABC supply or Home Depot, or it could refer to a contractor/installation company that buys direct from the manufacturer, and then sells an "INSTALLED" product/service package to the consumer. I think that term has been used in both ways here which caused some confusion.... at least for me it did, lol.

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Yes, exactly, but to add to the confusion, one of the Marvin Dealers , who IS a direct manufacturer dealer said they could NOT do the installation and suggested they would recommend using our own contractor. All of this is confusing to us and making us wonder how expensive these things are. Also, the second Marvin direct dealer just emailed me and told me prices go up next week and we better hurry and decide.

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Update....Kolbe windows came in at a higher price than the Marvin's in the extruded aluminum exterior, primed interior. Even Kolbe's painted exterior with their special 10 year guaranteed paint was more than the Marvin clad. We are surprised at this . Now we need to decide whether we can do this job; windows are VERY expensive .
    Salbwil

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

In wood, you better believe it :/
    I'm guessing that you are not considering vinyl or other materials, but the cost savings can be dramatic.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

The main advantage to wood is that it can be stained on the inside. Sice you are pricing these out as primed you may want look at other options. The Eagle window by Anderson is another viable option in wood. Loewen is another nice wood window but can be expensive as well.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Loewen in this area is generally not any cheaper to slightly higher price point than Marvin in the Northeast. I am a little surprised Kolbe is more than Marvin but could be how he buys product. Call Kolbe and ask for dealers in Mass.

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Cleary Millwork is the only dealer in this area , and they are some distance away. They sent me to another company , Horner construction, who sent me to a sales rep. So, I guess all these people involved sends the price up. I did call Kolbe and they sent me back to the original people , Cleary.
    At this point, we are inclined to go with Marvin......the second quote with the very high installation price and try to work with them some more on seeing what we can do to get the price down. We live near the ocean, and we need to see if that affects warranties too.
    Salbwil

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Toddinmm,
    We are looking at the Marvin and Kolbe clad as we are retired and don't want to do this again....both of these companies have an exterior clad color that matches our other windows and trim color pretty closely and would save us having to pay to paint these windows over the next ten or so years. That's important to us. They both , Kolbe and Marvin, also offer primed interior, also important . Vinyl was out of the question for us, looks wise, and the Fibrex/wood options didn't work color wise with the remaining windows.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

The Eagle window from Andeson is different than there A-series. It's exterior is extruded aluminum and so is it's trim.They also have 50 exterior colors availablr.