Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hurricane-rated Sliding Door sill problem

Posted by helenjoan (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 18:51

We are considering replacing the windows in our 24 year old South Florida vacation home with impact resistant glass windows compliant with current building code, largely because we are being strongly encouraged by our insurance company. We are facing a problem with the sliding glass doors that I have not seen mentioned in the forum. The code-compliant sliding doors all have a very deep "sill" - hope I am using the right term -which will be a real trip hazard as one goes in and out. We are trying to determine if there is a way of lowering the wall on which the window sits, so that the top of the sill will be even with the inside floor (instead of 2inches above it). Our inside floor is a good 1 foot above grade, so we are not concerned about water. Any other suggestions?? - thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hurricane-rated Sliding Door sill problem

I have know idea what brand your using, but a good quality Lift-n-Slide door system should have a pretty shallow sill that would dam near be floor height. Even for the Impact requirements.

o

Our house is over 4 miles inland in Boca Raton, but, I am inclined to try to comply with the "Miami-Dade" requirement (which I believe are more stringent)so that our windows will be in compliance with any future changes in building code. Our insurance company is telling us that they want our doors and windows to meet current building code requirements (for wind). Are there different dp ratings required for different areas in Miami/Dade? Eo you know what dp rating is required for Boca Raton? Thank you both for your help.

o

Looking at Florida's wind speed map, it appears that you are in the 140 mph wind zone. This would equate to a DP50 requirement in your area.

o

You would be well suited to see what minimum code is and far exceed that. Miami Dade code is pretty comprehensive in this case because of that regions affinity for disastrous storms.

I would not install a DP50 door alone unless you plan on have hurricane shutters installed afterwards.

While hurricane shutters are nice, the beauty of Impact windows/doors is that you are not relying on the shutters alone. Most people opt for impact windows/doors on vacation properties because they do not need to be there to close them as them would a shutter.

The combination of both would give you ultimate impact protection.

The Simonton Stormbreaker line is a nice option although I am not sure of their availability in doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here