Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engprof

confused about extension jambs, trim, etc.

EngProf
11 years ago

Hi.

I am putting an addition on my house. I'm buying Anderson windows (400 tilt-wash double-hung), white inside, white outside. I didn't price the "Woodwright" because I thought it would be too expensive. The new windows will go into *new construction* being added to my Cape Cod, which is brick and in the typical mid-Atlantic Williamsburg/Colonial revival style.

Goal: Make these windows look right. That is, I think they should look much like the existing ones ... but only a few of the new windows will go in brick veneer, and the rest will be siding. So I think that means I need something other than brickmold ... but I am having trouble getting straight answers from vendors.

Current windows:

* They have no extra trim. I assume they are what people call "brickmold" because there is window, and some minimal additional white material (1" or so), then brick. I have small doghouse dormers upstairs, and those have some white trim, but minimal b/c not much space up there.

* Interiors are framed with a 3" wood trim (white). The "stool" (I call it the sill) protrudes 1" past wall, giving me a depth of 2 1/2" before I reach the window. There is also 3" wood trim underneath that, matching the frame-job all the way around the window.

QUESTIONS:

1. Some new windows will be on the front of the addition, which is brick veneer. Do I order "brickmold" for these?

2. Do I order brickmold for the other windows, or something else? I was considering a 3 1/2" trim plus a decorative drip-cap. I thought that might help replicate the look of the windows set back in brick since they have lintels overhead.

3. Do I need to add items like a "stool" ... or will a new-construction window come with that? Do I need to tell them how deep the stool should be? OR is there some basic type of stool they will add since these are "new construction" windows?

4. Will this window (Andersen 400 for new construction) come with *some* sort of interior framing, or do I have to order/specify something? I don't want drywall-meets-sash. there should be a frame of some kind.

5. Do I need "extension jambs" ... or does one get those ONLY if the wall is thicker than 4 9/16"? Does the answer change for different types of windows (awning style vs. double hung)?

6. If I do not order any exterior trim kit, does that mean I will be paying my builder (his installer, or his carpenter) to build some sort of surrounds (e.g., Azak)? We are on a sort of "a la cart" approach, so I am trying to figure out what will look best and have a reasonable cost.

Thanks for any guidance you might provide!

Comments (3)