Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

atrium windows in beach house - kill the deal?

rileysmom17
13 years ago

I have a beach house under contract. It was built in 2004 and 6 of the windows have broken seals (I think they are single-hungs). I discovered today that they are Atrium windows which seem to have a very mixed reputation, with some posters on this forum considering them total junk. I don't know the exact model number but I'm getting it. The rapid seal breakage certainly supports a low opinion.

Everyone on this forum appreciates the value of a great window. I am wondering if these Atrium windows are such a time bomb that I should kill the deal. There are numerous large windows all over the house as you would expect for a beach property, so replacing them after purchase is out. The risks are continued replacement, leakage with water damage, high wind blow-out and poor energy performance (think summer renters). The saving grace is that the beach-facing windows are under deep porch roofs.

The house seems otherwise terrific and the builder has a good reputation but I would rather walk the deal than buy a window money pit that could turn into a rot and mold disaster. Am I over-reacting?

Comment (1)