Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is there a big difference between 4.16 and 4.6 r value?

Posted by beaglejazz (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 17:36

I'm buying cellular shades for my windows and wanted to understand if there was a huge difference in energy efficiency by going to a 4.6 vs a 4.16 R value shade. I prefer the 4.16 value shade aestetically, but can certainly go with the 4.6 one if it's much more higher insulating. I just don't know if .5 in r value is a lot or not.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is there a big difference between 4.16 and 4.6 r value?

The impact on overall average wall R-Value will be slight, however, if there is no difference, or little difference, in price you would want to opt for the more efficient option.

One window is approximately 12% more efficient than the other. If the price difference is less than 12%, I would go with the more efficient window.

This is all based on the windows have similar Visible light, SHGC, and Air Infiltration numbers.

Post up the data on the two windows as it pertains to all of the measurements and I will tell you what the better option is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here