Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neustkg

Jeld-Wen, Simonton, or Andersen sliding glass patio doors?

neustkg
9 years ago

We have this extra wide opening (89" wide, 80" tall) to the back yard and in that space is a fixed pane of glass on the left with a normal slider to the right. It has been on it's last legs for a while now, really bad last two years. You can feel cold air coming in during the winter. Also to keep the door sliding (not smoothly anymore, just movable), I spray the tracks and rollers with silicone spray. It's time to replace it. We've had people out before to look at the windows in general and we've found out that even though the house was built in 1994, the windows are from the 1980s. They are double pane, but very cheap. I want an extra wide slider put in to take up the entire space (no fixed pane).

I had one company come out and they said the door would need to be custom made (by their company). $5 grand for one with a lifetime warranty, $3 grand for one with a 3 year warranty. Both prices include installation.

We had Champion come out. They said only option would be fixed pane and standard window. $5 grand installed. Otherwise, fill in part of the wall and go with standard sized door or open wider and go with two double sliders. No way we're going with that option.
I went to Home Depot and they did a search and found that Jeld-Wen and Andersen both have a door that would fit in our opening. Maybe even Simonton. Price for Jeld-Wen is $1100 before installation, Andersen $1300 before installation. So I made an appointment with their Home Depot installer to talk about our options. I like that price and with installation, will probably be well below $3 grand.

Anyone have any experience with Jeld-Wen, Simonton, or Andersen? And with Home Depot installation?

Comments (42)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Personally, find a window and door professional and stay the hell away from purchasing from HD or any box store. Installation by a box store is a 100% crap shoot at the absolute best and I can not recommend even letting them know where I live. That being said 89" in width is not a standard size for anyone in a patio door of any type. A quality vinyl company can make one as they make product to size. Out of this you mention Simonton would be the best, Jeldwen and Andersen (vinyl I am assuming) are the epitome of garbage.

• uneeda
    9 years ago

Good advice to stay away from the big box stores for installation.

The Simonton Reflections 5500 patio door is a nice unit and Simonton will custom make that size. If you choose Simonton when purchasing the door have the door factory assembled so the main frame is welded; otherwise the main frame will come knock down and only the door panels will be welded.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Can't add much to either of the two previous commenters.

Try to work with a window and door professional and you can probably avoid much of the big box store nightmare stories.

They can and do install products wells in several cases but the stories of them totally ruining installs is quite common.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

I may be the exception to the rule but the contractor I got via Home Depot did a marvelous job installing a new slider for me several years ago. They even found an old timer stucco guy to match the '70's pattern on the exterior of my home- stellar job all around.

The problem with the big box stores is that it's a crapshoot whether you will get someone decent or not. Fortunately for me I got a good one.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You got fortunate then cearbhaill, unfortunately some of their product lines are just as big a crap shoot as well. Which is why my advice is to avoid them like the plague, unless you know EXACTLY what your getting. I told a story under another subforum about the guy I asked where they had the amaryllis (Christmas flower) bulbs, he thought about it for 10 seconds and lead me to the light bulb aisle. Of course I knew exactly where he was taking me when we left the garden section but I just had to find out...........

• aowatson
    8 years ago

I recently had a Jeld-Wen patio door installed my Lowe's. Installation was fine and Lowe's has been wonderful. But get this: water leaks into the inside track, even in light rain, and Jeld-Wen actually says this is to be expected. Once in leaked over onto our new carpeting, but to claim that any water should come indoors is absolutely astounding! I'd advise everyone to steer clear. Previous experience with Jeld-Wen was fine, but that door is no longer made. I've had excellent experience with Andersen sliding doors,

• PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Will they not examine the door and prescribe a repair?

• qbryant
    8 years ago

What's the problems with anderson sliders,narrow line and perma shield?

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    8 years ago

I just ordered a Windsor sliding door that is beautiful!

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

I purchased a JeldWen 4500 series sliding glass door DP rated 65 and I too have water (slight wind and rain) that comes in through the middle panel and fills up the track system inside my house. JeldWen claims this is normal for these doors to let water in the doors in the track system?? These are exterior doors that are supposed to keep the rain water out, not let it in. They have dismissed my case saying the water hasn’t split over the track yet. I have not had a heavy wind and rain yet, only 3 weeks old. This is crazy to me!! It’s normal for water to come through exterior sliding glass doors? Anyone else having this kind of issue?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Have you checked the weep tracks in the door for obstructions or exterior blocks?

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago
    The door is brand new, all weep holes are clear. The track system isn’t the issue, it’s the water coming through the middle of the two doors. Normally there are rubber gaskets to seal the exterior, however these doors don’t have anything but felt to keep the water out. JeldWen claims its completely normal to have water come in through these doors??? Am I missing something here?? I thought exterior doors were supposed to keep water out!! Like I said earlier, I’ve only had slight wind and light rain, nothing too crazy and water comes in.
  • millworkman
    6 years ago

Pictures of the interor, exterior and the meeting stile may help us help you if you can take them.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

Thank you for asking and wanting to see if you. Hold help!!

Last picture is the exterior of the stiles meeting. Seems to me that there should be a rubber seal. It’s only a felt strip keeping the water out. First picture is interior with water in the track. It barley rained and water came in in the middle(stile) at the bottom.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

Auto correct. Thank you for trying to help me Millworkman

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Are those deck board hard up against the underside of that sill? It might be an illusion but the sill doesn't look pitched correctly.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

No they are not. We had them cut back and have weep holes in the decking boards as well. JeldWen came out and inspected and said the door install is correct. I’ll share a photo of the type of wreather stripping that I thought should be on the exterior stationary stile.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

It’s pitched and flashed to allow water to go down down before it has a chance to build up on the sill. Ultimately the deck should be lowered, I inherited that issue. But with the crazy amount of flashing and deck weep holes are allowing the water to not build up and come in that direction. We face North and a little bit of wind and rain come rt through the stile of the doors.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Unfortunately all the flashing and weep holes won't do a thing if the sill is not pitched correctly. Are the deck board pressing up on the underside of the sill?

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

First picture is the pitch and second is where the water comes in.

The boards do not press up against the underside. Does this help? Should I take more pictures?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

No, that answers my thoughts on that. I will do a little hunting and be back later.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

The meeting stile w/s should be like from what I can see.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Is the finger indicating where the water is coming in or is it showing somewhere else?

Also, not to pick on the installation, but the peal and stick tape should NOT be on top of the house wrap (WRB) at the head of the door. Just an observation.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

The finger is pointed to where the water comes in. The meeting stile just has felt all the way up and down and stays wet for a few days after a light rain. Shouldn’t there be some sort of gasket to keep water out? I know the JeldWen 2500 series has an exterior gasket to keep water out.

Install guys said they went way overboard to make sure no water could get in, around or underneath anywhere, maybe that’s why there is so much wrap and tape??

Millworkman, I have that same picture in my notes. Does mine not look like that?

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

One more thing, I used to have French Inswing doors and had so much water damage over the years that they had to replace the whole opening and subfloor. They wanted to make sure that no water could get behind any of the wrap. I just don’t understand how JeldWen can tell me that it is completely normal to have water come in through these doors on a light rain? Does that make sense to anyone?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

No, absolutely none. Unfortuately part of the reason most pro's would not sell or recommend Jeldwen.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Can you shoot a picture of the door with it just slightly open? Based on the engineering drawings that millworkman posted, it appears there isn't a true "interlock" between the panels. If that is the case, saturating wind will blow a bit of rain between those two weatherstripping seals and it will likely pool at the bottom of that track. Based on the picture of the track, that bit of water should just pool in the track and ultimately make its way out of the home. Is it cold there yet? Is this definitely rain or could it be condensation as well?

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

These are pictures of the door stile when open. There is a steale mechanism behind the felt, however that is for the wind aspect of the door. It is definitely rain that comes in, not condensation. These doors are supposed to be DP rated 65 to withstand structural, wind and rain of up to 173mph.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

When we had a light wind and rain a couple weeks ago, the rain came in and filled up the track almost to the top. The water slowly leaked back out over a 12 hour period. The weep holes have a ball mechanism in them to not allow bugs and other debree to come in through the outside, that is why the water slowly leaks back out. I am so afraid that when we have a big rain and wind event the water will spill over onto my new hardwood floors.

• PRO
    6 years ago

The door does appear to have an interlock of some sort. Not sure what that "check valve" apparatus is like, but that door track should shed that water as fast as it accumulates it.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

I agree, but I don’t think I should have water coming in to begin with, especially on a light rain! I paid a lot of money for these doors and did all the upgrades possible.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

To All of you looking to buy windows and doors, DO NOT BUY JELD-Wen products!! They do not stand by their word, are very rude ( like it’s my fault that I don’t understand why it’s normal to have water coming through my brand new doors), baffling!!

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

aowatson,

I’m curious, whatever came about with your leaking JeldWen door issue?

• PRO
    6 years ago

I don't disagree with you and I can't imagine they would define this as "normal" operation.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

This is the email to prove that’s what JeldWen states that its normal? I’ll keep y’all posted how far I get with this ridiculousness.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

Thank you for those of you that responded and your information.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Not trying to make an apology for Jeldwen but I don't read that to mean it is supposed to leak I read that there may be water left in the sill (exterior I presume) that doesn't weep out immediately. I have never heard of a door that was made to intentionally let water in. I still think there is an issue with the door or the design if it allows water to the interior.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

That’s was just an example of several emails back and forth along with phone calls stating the fact that the doors are performing as they should and Are “ENGINEERED TO ALLOW WATER TO COME IN AND GO BACK OUT”.

• meganhowlett
    6 years ago

And no, it states that on the interior track will have residual water leftover.

• Window Man
    3 years ago

the problem is one of design - this door has what I call a "negative sill angle", meaning that the inside track is LOWER than the rest of the profile. This type of design is ALWAYS susceptible to water buildup and drainage issues on the inside. In my opinion, it's a horrible design, and you can't really solve your problem unless you change the door.

• HU-44525177151
    last year

@meganhowlett did you ever get your Jeldwen door issue solved? I am having same issue, with same jeldwen door (mine has blinds inside glass), and wish I would have seen this thread before having this door installed and trusting my contractor (who has since quit without giving me the paperwork for the door, all because I questioned the door, the installation, and the amount I paid the contractor for the door).