Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petras52

pro via french door alignment issue

petras52
11 years ago

I recently had a set of 3/4 lite provia french doors installed. The top quarter of the active door where it meets the astragal of the inactive door, is not flush and sticks out about 1/4". Correspondingly, the bottom quarter is slightly recessed. This misalignment results in a slight air infiltration problem on top. I pointed it out to the installers and they adjusted it slightly but the problem remains. I think the doors came pre-installed to the frame so it may be a factory defect. Any suggestions from the pros?

Comments (8)

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Simple.. Did you buy the door through the installer? If so, it is covered under warranty. If you bought on your own and hired a installer, it's a classic he said she said. That's why when buying windows or doors, always buy through a licensed installer.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Hmmmm.... On the other thread, you posted the price and it sounded pretty low for that product. That combined with your description point to an installation issue IMO. French doors can be VERY finicky to install, and the process is practically an art form.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Agree, I thought that price was much too low.

• petras52
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I purchased the doors through a legit provia door dealer who employs his own installation crew. Overhead at the business is low and there are no commissioned salesmen. The installers are very experienced in window and single door installs. Unfortunately, the final adjustment was made on a relatively warm day so air infiltration wasn't apparent. The installer said he couldn't see any light infiltration in the area of concern so I signed off on the paperwork as satisfied with the install. Now, with colder weather making the leak apparent, I'm using stick on weatherstripping as a temporary measure. I'll probably call them back but I'm thinking an effective fix would require removing/rehanging the door. I feel that an experienced french door installer would have seen the potential problem and taken measures to correct it. Lesson learned..proper installation every bit as important as the quality of the product..

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Just a guess from my living room, but it sounds to me like installation as well. More than likely not plumb.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1. Call the install company and have them come out and take a look. I'd ask for a manager/owner, as the original installer will probably just try to play it off so he doesn't have to pull the unit.
    If worst comes to worst and they won't fix it or they blame it on the door (there is not much that a good installer couldn't fix even IF the door was poorly assembled), then get a Provia rep involved.

• petras52
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys for the advice..

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz