Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ski6

Help Me Decide

Brian
9 years ago

Got a bunch of window bids this week and have been researching like crazy. Think I have it narrowed down to four options. Maybe just three. The quick overview is this. 17 windows in South Louisiana so heat and humidity is my main concern. Plan to be in the house a long time. All windows are lowE/argon.

Wincore 7700 $8603
Wincore 5400 $7753 (upgraded to double strength glass)
WindowMart 7000 $6460
DonYoung 8200 $7435 (thermal broken aluminum)

All of the Vinyls are double hungs the DY is single. Really makes no difference to me here. Looking at just the U and SHGC numbers all of these windows are within 10%. The DY aluminum is appealing with the thinner frame and very low AI but its other numbers just miss being able to qualify for 2015 Energy Star so if there ends up being another tax credit they won't qualify. Not a ton of info and experience out there with the WindowMart windows although the construction looks probably about the same as the Wincore 5400. The Wincore 5400 has a narrower frame than the 7700 which is a plus but the 7700 does have some nicer 'styling' touches. Really the trade off between the two is 5400 has more glass and not a great .28 AI where I trade up to a much better .08 AI but get less glass with the thicker frame of the 7700.

Looking at the install side of things the Wincore installer is on top of the bunch with lots of very good reviews in the area followed fairly closely by the WindowMart dealer. The DY window dealer/installer is very small and does mostly patios and screen rooms which gives me pause. He subs out his window installs but says he uses the same sub for most of his jobs. Just not much to go on with him besides checking a few references I can get from him.

Of course cost is a factor but all of these could be in the budget. Which way would you go?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

The tax credit isn't necessarily even in place for this year. It was retroactively renewed for 2014 but there is no guarantee on 2015.

Go look at some of the DY installs and the sub's work product. You need to see that in order to get a visual on the quality of his work.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Not only that, but the tax credit is only a maximum of $200.00 on windows, and $300.00 for doors. Don Young's 8200 series thermally-broken aluminum window is a great product that can stand up to the extreme weather you get there.

The Wincore 7700 would be the best of the vinyl options you've looked at.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

I believe that it's $500 for doors unless I'm mistaken.
    The other aspect is that it is part of the larger energy efficiency tax credit, so if you have used up more than $500 (lifetime limit) on anything else like insulation, hvac, etc, you won't get a dime.

All that said, who knows what will happen later this year.

• Brian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do really like the idea of the Don Young aluminum but the installer is an unknown. I am getting some references and will go take a look at some of his window jobs. Unfortunately on first impression I didn't have a great feeling about him.

The Wincore 7700s are kinda bulky on first impression so that is my hesitation there although I think it would probably be a solid choice.

I'm still digging more on the Window Mart offering.

The Energy Star and tax credit thing is really more of a measuring stick of sorts. It will probably only amount to a few dollars in an actual credit IF it even comes back since I did take most of it for an HVAC system.

Thanks for the input. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm kind of frustrated with lack of selection of 'better' manufacturers.