Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need ideas for sidelight windows

Posted by deconovice (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 15:44

I have 2 sidelights next to my front door, both are about 6 ft tall by 8 in wide & are clear glass, starting at a few inches above the floor. I would like to cover them to add a little 'something' to my foyer but also because it drives me crazy that anyone walking in front of or up to the house can see directly in, all the way into my family room which is behind the foyer.

I was originally going to do the 'traditional' sidelight sheers that are sort of bunchy w/ the top & bottom rods, but then thought perhaps that was a dated look. I know some people do blinds, but we dont have blinds on any of our other downstairs windows (and I'm planning to get sheers for the 2 rooms that face the front eventually...can you tell I hate window treatments?).

Any creative ideas for covering sidelights stylishly?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need ideas for sidelight windows

Short of replacing the sidelights with opaque glass, I believe there is an opaque film available similar to having your car windows tinted. Believe you can find the material at one of the big box stores. Re curtains, slightly dated or people looking into your house?

o
RE: need ideas for sidelight windows

I would replace the glass with glass blocks. If the size of the opening is right, it isn't a difficult project. Glass blocks give a beautiful, custom look and would solve the privacy problem without any window treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here