Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Pella (Again) or Not to Pella?

Posted by karenmaness (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 15:35

Almost 3 years ago we had 5 all-wood windows replaced with Pellas (Architect series, aluminum clad). The original wood window sills had rotted to the point that we just had to replace them. We went with Pellas on the recommendation of an architect friend and the perception that they were top of the line. I didn't know about this forum at the time. Since reading through some of the posts here, I am now a little freaked out by all the problems people have had with their expensive Pella windows. I do have to say that thus far we have been very pleased with them. You can really tell the difference between the remaining old windows and the new ones in terms of energy efficiency. My daughter's room has one old and one new window - the surface of the old window gets MUCH colder than the new one does. I'll also say that we paid top dollar for an extremely reputable contractor to install our windows, since we knew that proper installation is a huge part of the life expectancy of a window. It took two guys about 3 days to install the five windows, if I remember correctly.

Is there any more we can do to keep tabs on these windows? They are hard to inspect for water damage of course due to the clad exterior. What kind of maintenance should we be doing to avoid trouble down the road? How do you know when the window starts to fail?

The reason I am back to researching windows is that we are planning to replace another window and the patio door. We are replacing the window over our sink as part of a kitchen remodel, and replacing our patio door with a slider. I had the Pella guy come out and price these for me, and now it appears this Pella office offers installation services so he gave me an installed cost. One thing about the patio door - it leads out to the covered portion of our deck so is protected from most weather and direct sun. I had wondered if we could get away with a lower end manufacturer since it won't be in a very harsh environment, but we do want it to be energy efficient and easy to operate.

Based on others' experiences, though, I'm not sure we want to put any more eggs in the Pella basket.

Can anyone share their insights? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Pella (Again) or Not to Pella?

I have also noticed many people bashing Pella, we install multiple lines of windows and Pella being one of them, that being said Pella is a great window. It is my belief that more than likely the people who are unhappy with Pella actually have installation issues, regardless of what they may say or who may have looked at the problems. Any wood window if not installed properly will begin to rot, if installed properly a wood frame window with a cladding on the outside will last for a lifetime when properly installed and maintained

o

" It is my belief that more than likely the people who are unhappy with Pella actually have installation issues, regardless of what they may say or who may have looked at the problems."

So you, who has never so much as looked at the windows in question, think you have a better insight as to what's wrong, than the people who have actually examined them closely? How did you aquire this great para-normal diagnostic ability?

o

"It is my belief that more than likely the people who are unhappy with Pella actually have installation issues, regardless of what they may say or who may have looked at the problems. Any wood window if not installed properly will begin to rot, if installed properly a wood frame window with a cladding on the outside will last for a lifetime when properly installed and maintained"

I guess the class action lawsuit against Pella for their windows rotting should be against the installers and not Pella?

Give me a break.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here