Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mclark100

Can't hang my blinds on Marvin Integrity, top & sides are angled

mclark100
9 years ago

I just installed 12 new Marvin Integrity Wood-Ultrex windows. When I went to reinstall the blind brackets, I noticed the inside top (and sides) are angled, not flat, so I can't screw in my brackets.

Is there a special wedge or bracket that I can order that will make the blind brackets install flat so the blinds hang correctly?

I've searched and can't seem to find anything. It's a common window, so I cant believe I'm the only one who runs into this.

Thanks, Merrill

The windows are awesome by the way (except for this issue)

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Post up some pictures and we can walk you through how to hang them best.

• mclark100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is looking from the side at the top right hand corner.

I added lines so you could see the difference between "level". It's about 5/16", higher at the front.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

This shows mounting on the sides with a slanted top. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Levolor blinds link

• mclark100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding, but the sides are angled too, so this also wouldn't work without some sort of angled bracket or shim.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

sorry, I did not see that. Use washers to level it out. Place one or more washers between the bracket and the window on the screws that attach the bracket. Hopefully the valence will cover this.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Good picture lkbum and great advice on this thread.

We did the same thing at our home. I had to back space with washers. Once you get the count right, it is the same on all the units and levels them up nicely.

• mclark100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, and great idea!

I think what I may try along that line is rip a piece of wood the correct thickness to make it level, paint it, and drill a hole in it, using it as a simple spacer like the washer idea. Then I can just cut however many pieces I need from the same length and won't split it by trying to screw through it.

FYI... here's Marvin's answer... (their response was very quick)

Unfortunately, we do not offer a wedge piece that makes the unit compatible for blinds. We always caution our customers attempting to retrofit blind options onto their unit that any damage that could be caused by drilling into the frame could potentially affect your warranty coverage.

It is something that we certainly hope that manufacturing will come up with a resolution to in the future and we do inform them each time we speak with a customer with this need.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Key piece from Marvin is regarding the warranty coverage. This really goes for any manufacturer, as they generally frown on drilling into the window unit for blind brackets and other items. You may not have any other choice and you SHOULDN'T have any issue, just something to be aware of. There are unscrupulous manufacturers that will use ANY excuse to void a warranty claim.

• Laura M
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for this discussion. I'm writing about the same issue having just installed a large cottage with Integrity windows and doors, 34 of which are double hung and need blinds. Has the problem of the beveled top and side been resolved?

We only noticed the issue after the installation and the Marvin windows salesman said he didn't know how to deal with the issue and suggested that everything is now top mount. We bought one new blind and a universal mounting bracket that we top mounted without a skim or spacer. It worked but looks terrible, there is a huge gap at the top because the bracket is too long, and there's a big gap on the sides too.

Has Marvin got a solution yet? Also, why are the top and side inside framing pieces beveled in the first place -- our original 100-year old windows weren't?

Thanks for your advice.

Laura

• msw61950
    6 years ago

so you had to add this piece at the top, to which the blind mounting bracket would be attached?