Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Take new window out?

dakota01
13 years ago

My new construction windows are single hung. A large piece of furnite will not fit into my house unless I take out one of the windows, have the movers put the piece thru the window then put the window back in .

So, just how hard and big of a job is it to take a new window out (house is siding) and then put it back in?

How much would that cost approximately?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

That's a very broad question. It depends on what's involved in removal and reinstallation. If you have a nailing fin, it's likely that the J channel on the siding will have to be removed. If it's aluminum siding, it MAY have to be replaced. It's also possible if you have had the window molding capped thatthe trim capping would have to be removed and reinstalled. The cost could be anywhere from $100 to $250.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Just to clarify the above post: If you have aluminum siding the J channel may have to be replaced, not the siding.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not aluminum siding - it's vinyl Mastic brand siding.

So it can be done and w/o too much trouble.

I am considering replacing the window with a double hung - just in case I would sell/move. I just have to check w/the mfg. to see if they look pretty identical.

Thanks

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I didn't say it can be done without too much trouble.

It still depends on if it's wood, vinyl or metal and whether it is a new construction window or a replacement window, It it's a replacement widow it's not as complicated. If it's new construction vinyl or metal, it's not as easy and it's best left to a professional as there are other factors that could complicate it.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The window is vinyl - new construction window, not a replacement window.
    I would definately not attempt to do this on my own. I would hire someone. I just wanted to know that "it could be done" and half the house doesn't have to come down to do it. LOL
    I may decide to replace this window with a double hung if it looks similar enough to the single hungs - that way in the case that I would move - I could get the furniture piece back out again w/o removing the window.

Downsizing has it's drawbacks !