Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tippie2000

Anderson Windows Loose

tippie2000
10 years ago

We just moved into a house that was built in 2003 and have wood Anderson Windows. I have two that are leaking water and all of them do not seal up very tight at all. I had one general contractor look at them and he pushed on all of them and the sashes are very loose when pushing on them from the outside.

At the end, his opinion was that I needed all new windows due to the amount of give the sashes have.

I had a Pella rep out and quote $10,000 for replacing all the windows. I guess I really just want to make sure I need to replace the windows and there just isn't something I am missing that can be done to tighten up these windows as everyone raves about Anderson windows but these are only 10 years old and they are terrible.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

If they are 10 years old, they should be covered in total if there are manufacturing issues at hand.

The structure and frame of the windows are covered for 20 years.

What, exactly, is loose?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Doesnt sound like there is much you can do. They are probably andersen " tilt wash" which are notorious for leaking air and not being efficient. Pella are just as bad in my opinion. I would look at " high end vinyl" offerings. They are NOT the junk/ cheap looking stuff you will find at home depot or Lowes.

Okna, sunrise, quantum 2 make some of the most air tight windows you will find and they look nice. Depending on where you are located, they should be available.

• tippie2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they are "tilt wash". As far as warranty, what I have read is that the glass is covered for 20 years and everything else is only covered for 10, that would make most of the window out of warranty currently.

What is loose? Well that is just my description I guess, but the sashes are not tight in the frame at all. On a few of the windows the sash does not come down and touch the inside of the frame even when locked and the lock is pretty tight. Just had the polar vortex come through and we had to put plastic up or we would have been freezing. There was ice build up on the inside of every window mostly where the two sashes meet in the middle.

I have a busy week next week as I have 5 companies coming to do quotes. I have completed ruled out Pella at this point thanks to these forums.

Here are the brands the companies install that are coming out:
    Starmark ( I think this is Okna)
    Sunrise
    Soft Lite
    Provia (Aeris windows)
    Polaris

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get all these replaced.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Doesn't sound like there is much adjustment to be done from your description.

Sorry to see that. That window should have lasted longer.

Some people tend to think that wood does not have an issue with shrinking or maintaining shape either. I guess this doesn't really strengthen that argument.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County