Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbarstow_gw

New windows and keeping storms?

mbarstow
11 years ago

We are replacing 7 windows (60 yrs. old) in our family room that faces southwest. About 15 years ago we added new storms. I'm in favor of keeping the storms with the new windows. We are north of Boston and it was 3 degrees with a chill factor of -14 yesterday due to the wind. Is it okay to keep the storms on the house with new replacements?

Comments (14)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

No. Voiding the warranty will be the least of your problems. In 99% of cases, storms gotta go when installing replacement windows.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Depending on the application, it can create a big issue for the new window.

I would look at proper replacement windows or new storm windows.

While you are at it, put some air sealing and insulation on your radar as well.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

What kind of windows are being installed?

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

If using storms voids the warranty find another window. There are places in our Canadian provinces up north where storms are used over insulated windows due to the extreme conditions.
    I would not throw away those storms as I believe they can only help you.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I repeat!!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

That is questionable advice jumppilot, as it at needs major qualifiers. Installation of storms over replacement windows (particularly with low-e) is extremely uncommon, however I run into 1 or 2 homeowners every year who've had their fiberglass doors warped or the vinyl surround around the windows melt or distort due to excessive heat build-up between the door and unvented storm door. The deformation temperature of vinyl is around 160*, and it is not out of the realm of possibility to approach that under the right circumstances with a storm mounted on a replacement window. Certainly there are exceptions to that rule, but in most cases it is not advisable. Even in the cases where it could be done without causing issues, the question then arises as to whether or not adding a storm unit would be more cost-effective than upgrading the quality of the IG and or assembly of the prime window unit.
    Generally speaking either a quality storm over old windows OR new replacement windows will offer the best combination of value/performance.

http://vekainc.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/storm-windows-vinyl/

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl extrusion manufacturer on storms

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 12:24

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Vinyl windows are the only windows prone to warping. I have only seen vinyl parts warp on doors with storms when the doors were painted a darker color.I would check with manufacturers warranty regardless of window material. Marvin and Anderson sell storms for there windows but I do not know if they warranty them with another brand installed.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

toddinmn, I am pretty certain both will not warranty their units with another manufacturer of storm windows. Back a few years HD was selling screens for Andersen windows that they were having made by Metal Industries and the dealers in my area would not even honor glass warranties if the accessories were not genuine Andersen.

• Will-D
    11 years ago

Voiding a warranty is basically useless if the energy cost over the next 5 years is equivalent to the cost of the windows, they sell storm windows all over the north east, don't be afraid of bullies like Andersen, they will find another way to void your warranty- usually fine print maintenance no one ever does, I've heard sob story after sob story about rotting Andersen windows they won't stand behind, We are doing the whole house in Andersen casement and will be keeping each and every interior storm window we have, esthetic reasons only for replacing windows, the storm windows and the 4" of captured air between them has saved us thousands ... not one issue caused by them. Good luck mbarstow

• millworkman
    11 years ago

No one mention interior storms as that is not an issue here, were talking about generic aluminum storm windows being used on the outside of a low e glazed energy efficient window and the potential for heat build up and potential issues with the low e. Interior storms will not cause any of these problems.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Saved thousands? Really? Did you have just an open hole in your wall prior to installing the storms?... I don't mean to be harsh, but that is VERY unrealistic. Both interior and exterior storms can be great options under the right circumstances, but let's come back to earth on the type of savings that can be expected, and be responsible in recommending them for the proper applications.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If you believe that, you need to buy one of these....and a bridge in Brooklyn.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

lmao, don't care who you are that's funny!!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Hey! That thing is good for at least like 100hp. It creates a vortex of air and supercharges your engine!