Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassikolo_gw

wood vs vinyl windows

kassikolo
11 years ago

I am sure it is discussed somewhere, but i cant find the post..we are building a new home and choosing windows...we are now planning on wood clad windows...are these the best? Are vinyl not as good? i am brand new to windows..and need little 101

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Need to give us more information as there are good wood and vinyl and there is garbage wood and vinyl. What brands are you looking at? What type of windows? Where are you building? These would more than likely only be starter questions at that.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1. Both materials have good choices. Which choice is right for you depends on your goals for the project, the type of home, etc.
    Wood= beautiful look and feel, unrivaled richness.
    Vinyl= lower cost, better performance (efficiency), and typically a better warranty/less maintenance.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

I would add that some of the higher end vinyl ( not available in stores) actually look very nice and blend in beautifully with traditional trim work. I've had my share of customers who asked that I don't even bring vinyl; however, when I stop over and show them my window they love the look and the structural benefits of high end vinyl.

• kassikolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hhmmm..here is how the outside of the house looks...we live in oklahoma.. so hot hot summers and usually chilly winters...not much moisture..
    When we went to the window store there were basically 3 option wood vinyl and something else (lower end)...and our builder basically just put us down for wood windows from one of his suppliers..maybe Andersen brand? so what do i need to make sure and do to make sure they are good quality?

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful home!
    I am one of the biggest proponents of vinyl that you'll find, but for that home, I'd probably go with Marvin Ultimates (clad wood)or something along those lines. Definitely something that offers the detail and richness that is oozing from that design.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

That's a house ! I though it was a shopping mall at first.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

WoW!!!

That is a pretty stunning home.

+1

Don't put vinyl in that house. I would look at something with a more organic look to it so as to match the construction.

There was another post on here that built one heck of a home and used Marvin Fiberglass if I am not mistaken.

I would look at the Integrity/wood combo as well as the InLine window.

In Wood, Marvin Ultimate and Kolbe are both great.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would agree 100% with HomeSealed that definitely screams Marvin Ultimates or Kolbe Sterlings either wood or clad.Those segmented head windows as well as the other casements would be awesome as Push Out French Casements.