Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stretchtex1

Attempting to track down a window!

John
10 years ago

I'm looking to add a window to home which was built in 1959. The house has Anderson horizontal style wood awning windows. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as tracking down something similar to this? Notice the strap that pivots out used to push the window open.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Look for push out awnings or crank out awnings.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

+1. I don't see anything particularly unique between that pic and the awning offerings of most manufacturers.
    Regarding the size and style that you have, if you are set on preserving that style that's one thing, but if not you could easily switch configurations for that entire opening. Each option has pros and cons: 1) slider for price, a twin casement for performance, twin double hung for ease of cleaning and maintaining similar lines, or the existing quad awning which is probably the most expensive way you could possibly fill that opening-- but it does preserve the look.

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perfect! Thanks for the info

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would I have to purchase four individual windows to achieve this configuration or could it be purchased as one unit?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

A slider would be one unit, the others would separate units either factory mulled, mulled on site, possibly inserted into the individual frames, or build your frames.
    I would do a full frame and go with a slider or full frame factory mulled if the company is capable.
    You may have egress issues with an awning if the windows are in a bedroom. The slider or casements with egress hardware would be your best bet if that is the case.

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This window would be added to a sitting room in the back corner of the ranch style home to add additional light. If the home consists completely of push out awnings should I plan on purchasing another push out awning for this space? Would it be acceptable to install perhaps a picture window?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

A picture window would let in the most light followed Bythe slider, casements , double-hung then awnings.
    It should be the cheapest and most efficient type window as well.
    I see no problem with a picture unless you want ventilation. With the window in the back different configerations will go more unnoticed.

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to go with a single panel awning rather than this quad configuration. The quote I received from BMC for a Marvin
    72" x 36" primed pine interior and exterior, 1 lite, wood ultimate awning picture window was $682.76. Does this sound like a fair price, if so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.
    Thanks

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

definitely a good price. That is not a cheap window.

• John
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Apparently what I was quoted was for a "stationary awning window". What is the difference between a stationary awning, a push out awning or a picture window.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Stationary awning is a FIXED window, a push out awning would be just what the name implies. And a picture window is also a permanently fixed window.