Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noise from Pella Prolines - window or installation?

Posted by madreiguana (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 14:05

Hi -

We recently had several Pella windows installed. The architect series casements are fairly sound-proof. The pro-line double-hungs, which face the same direction, seem to allow much more noise. There is a high-pitched hum in the room where they are located which is absent from the room with the casements. It always sounds in that room as though the windows aren't quite closed, even when they are locked.

Any suggestions as to cause? Is it the windows, or the installation (I dread pulling them apart, as I just finished doing the interior stain work myself, while in denial about the annoying noise level...)

Thanks for your ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noise from Pella Prolines - window or installation?

Casements are always going to be significantly more airtight than the equivalent series double hung. Some Double Hungs are much more airtight than others and Pella is not at the top of that list.

I would check the capping (if any) around the whistling windows as well as the weatherstripping and sash tracks.

o
RE: Noise from Pella Prolines - window or installation?

agreed sounds to me like the weatherstrip is not sealing the units somewhere, whether the units are not square, or the weatherstrip is missing or crushed. Those are some of the first things to look for

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here