Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Sliding Glass Doors vs Replacing Glass

Posted by indydave_2010 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 13:55

Hello all, one my sliding glass doors has lost its seal. I have obtained a couple of estimates on replacing the whole thing but it occurred to me that I could get by simply replacing the glass with a huge cost saving. My door frames are metal and seem to be in good shape. Would my heating bills be much higher if I went glass only (assuming equal quality)?

I live in Indianapolis.

Thanks,
David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Sliding Glass Doors vs Replacing Glass

Depends on how old the door is and how much wear is on it. When looking at a new door keep in mind that you will get better energy efficiency with a new door, much less possibility of condensation, less air infiltration and better aesthetics. You will also get a 30% tax credit if the new door qualifies. Subtract the tax credit from the price of the door and then look at the difference in price between just replacing the glass as opposed to replacing the entire door.

o

With a metal frame in Indiana, I would remove the whole unit and get an Andersen door.
Ron

o

I would not spend the money to rehab an old door unless it was historic.

Not sure that I would specify an Andersen door as a default either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here