Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do plexiglass storms cloud or discolor over time?

Posted by gordon29 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 13:52

I am replacing traditional storm windows in our 1920s home, and our carpenter and a couple other folks have recommended plexiglass. However, a few glass stores I've called (which sell both) tell me that plexiglass will discolor and/or get cloudy over time (as in a few years) when exposed to direct sunlight.

Does anyone have any knowledge of/experience with this?

Thanks!

Gordon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do plexiglass storms cloud or discolor over time?

Gordon,

Plexiglass is an acrylic plastic. Plastics yellow when exposed to ultraviolet light unless protected by using a UV inhibitor in the manufactue of the product, however not all acrylics contain UV protection. You can't tell just from looking at it, you need information from the manufacturer.

Even with protection, plastics may evntually visually degrade when exposed to weathering because they scrath easier than glass and even simple cleaning may eventually cause the material to become hazy due to scratches from windborne sand and dust as well as cleaning them.

Personally, I would use glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here