Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Windows - Where to Start?

MichelleDT
12 years ago

Window experts,

We are building a new custom home in the Denver area. The home will be contemporary with lots (and I mean lots) of glass windows, fixed glass walls and doors. The contractor is a big fan of Pella - we are not. Most of the other homes he showed up using Pella were old world style with stained wood interiors. We want a more commercial look - black aluminum in and out. No wood, no vinyl. I looked at Kolbe (on another house and they look very nice - no idea of pricing tho). Removing Pella from the list, can you offer other ideas for my research?

Thanks and Cheers.

Comments (11)

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Honestly, if you like the "commercial" look, I'd look into a commercial glass company in your area(s). Since you are in Denver I am sure there are plenty.

We have installed commercial glass and frame in residential homes and the biggest thing here (Florida) is that we have to have an engineer approve the drawings, which you can have done through your Architect.

You can get the same glass packages as "residential" windows with commercial so you won't have to worry about lowering your standards.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Commercial may be an option if we can't find the look in residential windows. The architect mentioned yesterday that they are considering structural requirements for commercial and seamless corner glass. Builder is not so crazy about the idea and has concerns about energy star ratings. Strict building inspectors where we live.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Many commercial jobs, especially Universities have energy star requirements along with LEED approvals. You should be fine in finding what you need, albeit expense may be higher than expected.

I don't know if I've ever found a "residential" aluminum company that had windows that looked commercial as a standard product, but then again not that many residential customers are looking for aluminum except for impact customers.

You will need Thermal Break aluminum windows to meet the Energy Star in your area. I believe Milgard still makes them.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the response. I am prepared for the extra expense (I think).

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Gulf,

As of the last time I checked, Milgard aluminum window was not thermally broken.

I may be mistaken but that was the last I hear of it.

Don Young makes a pretty good window and I too would check with a commercial glazier. You might even save money in that case.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

As far as I know they still make them. I included a link.

We can't get Milgard in FL so I don't have an opinion on them. But I have heard some good things about their products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milgard Thermal Break Aluminum

• PRO
    12 years ago

They should certainly be available in Denver.

Maybe I couldn't get them out by me (can't get anything these days).

Thanks for the link.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Gulf and WoW. I can get Milgard - have them in my current home (standard builder grade).

M

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just checked these out....exactly the look I want.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

• PRO
    12 years ago

Win...win.

Good pull GulfBreeze!

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews