Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roenie

Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows

roenie
9 years ago

We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home (canal on one side, bay on the other) on St. George Island in North FL. We need to replace the old aluminum windows and we want to change out some windows for doors.
We need coastal quality impact resistant windows and doors.
The contractor is saying that Silverline and Jeld Win are good, but we have read otherwise. The lumber yard told me that Simonton is good but about 35% more than Silverline and not worth it. They also told me that PGT (which we have at our home in Miami) is too expensive and wont quote!
Is there someplace where I can compare the windows? I would rather spend a little more now, then to have headaches in the future.
Thank you for any insights.

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Silverline and Jeldwen are garbage anything, period. I would look into the PGT at a minimum (not 100% sure what is available). I also would look somewhere other than a lumberyard for these windows and if your GC is set on using one of those brands maybe look fro another GC.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1 to MWM's comments. PGT is well regarded down there, and I'd even say that Simonton is a good step up from the other two. When you are looking at wholesale costs from a lumber yard, you really are getting what you pay. That said, I'd also recommend other options for sourcing your purchase. Not quoting in what my opinion would be a vastly superior product is just ridiculous.... I would not be surprised if the GC asked him to "poo-poo" the other options to protect his margins.

• roenie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I just got off the phone with a window company. I know a lot more now. I appreciate your input!

• roenie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello again
    I guess as the homeowner, the lumber yards and distributors are not too interested in dealing with me- I guess they don't realize I am paying the bill!! The GC will install what I buy.
    I haven't received any quotes yet on PGT!
    I just called another distributor, he also sells Andersen. He told me that vinyl clad wood is better than solid vinyl. He is suggesting Andersen 400 series. Said it is a more solid window than PGT and Simonton.
    I thought wood clad was not a good option for the cost.
    What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

• millworkman
    9 years ago

He is full of crap as he probably only sells the Andersen.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

I think that about sums it up.

That is what I love about Millworkman...you never have to guess what he is thinking.

He is 100% right too.

• roenie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't believe ordering windows is taking so long. I keep asking for quotes on PGT and Simonton and I am getting everything but!

Are Atrium Safe Harbor any good? I never heard of them. Just got off the phone with another rep who I asked to quote me on simonton and he came back with Atrium saying it is as good as simonton. Whats with some sales people- do they not listen???

Thank you

Lucinda

• R BeaHome
    8 years ago

roenie which window company did you find that worked for you and what window type. We are in a similar position and are looking for the right window for our coastal property. Thanks