Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milgard Thermal Break Aluminum Windows

Posted by chisco34 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 13:31

I can not find reviews on this specific line. Does ANYONE out there have experience with it? We needed to order our windows a week ago, but we are on a budget and don't want to make the wrong choice. We were planning to use Jeld-Wen again, but THANKFULLY found out at the last minute that the grille color is determined by the interior color of the window. How awful would a bronze exterior with tan grilles have been?!

So, any input into this line of Milgard would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks!
Abby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milgard Thermal Break Aluminum Windows

I have used their aluminum windows on a couple occasions here in the Northern VA and DC Area. I had some measured success with them and they were used in a sound mitigation application.

o

I don't have direct experience with them but I did research about them because I was bidding against them on a job (which I didn't get but neither did Milgard). They have TERRIBLE thermal numbers, aluminum windows are the worst even if it's dual glazed. Unless you need them to match a few existing windows you're much better off with a different product. They were popular in the 80's and should have stayed in that era.

o

If you are considering Milgard I'd assume that you are on the West Coast? They recently shut down distribution to the MW and Eastern half of the country. In my market, I strongly agree with Fen Taylor above, as aluminum is not a good choice for a cold climate. If on the west coast or Sw, it is more viable however. I 've not worked with their aluminum in particular, however my general experience with their product is that it is solid, and in fact probably one of the better choices that I know of in that area of the country. Is there a reason why you have focused on aluminum as opposed to vinyl or fiberglass?

o

Thanks for the responses! We are in south Texas, so other than this weird polar vortex right now we don't get drastically cold weather but for a couple weeks a year.

We have been set on Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl. Due to the bronze grille issue we started looking at other options, and one of the suppliers suggested Milgard. This afternoon we found out we can do an exterior grille application on the Jeld-Wen so we are back to considering that route. They are coming in about $3000 over budget, so that was another reason we were looking at other options.

o

Don Young is probably more well regarded in Texas.

Where in Texas are you located?

o

We are in Bulverde, outside of San Antonio.

This post was edited by chisco34 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 8:51

o

We are in Bulverde, outside of San Antonio.

Another general window question just came up...looking at the bid from the first supplier, which is the same takeoff all other suppliers based their bids on, all of our windows that end in -60 (i.e. 3060) are bid for 72" tall (i.e. 36x72"). Is this correct?? I thought they would be 36x60". Specifically, it's says Jeld-Wen single hung vinyl window, rough opening 36x72", frame size is 35.5x71.5". The blue print where this particular window goes says 3060.

I will call them tomorrow to verify, but just wondering now while I'm sitting down and comparing brands.

o

In TX, you have some pretty extreme conditions, so if you are considering vinyl, it really needs to be a premium choice, not just in name. There is a pro contributor from tX called ultra windows that can probably give some more pointed advice about specific brands that are good choices of various materials down there.

o

3060 means 3 ft. (36") wide and 6 ft. (72") tall.

In new construction sizing a 3060 window will be manufactured to 35 ½" x 71 ½" since the framed opening will be 36" x 72".

If you like thermally-broken aluminum, I prefer Don Young to Milgard. Don Young has an office in San Antonio where you could get a quote.

In vinyl, since it's new construction, you might consider NT or Burris.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here