Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basu76

Deciding on Windows

basu76
11 years ago

We decided recently that we wanted to replace windows. It started with , we have to replace patio doors and then went on to windows. We moved from Chicago, but our current home in Marietta,GA feels lot colder than the one we have in Chicago, at the same indoor temperature. So figured we blame the huge, oversized windows and patio doors. The current ones we have are made by peachtree doors, and are mostly sliding, and was installed I think in 1986.

After reading some of the forums here, I decided to get quotes for Sunrise, SOft-lite, and a couple other vendors my realtor suggested.

We have a total of 18 oversized windows (if they did DH, they said they will have to put 2 windows for most of them, as they are more than 48 inches in length). 2 patio doors.

For Slocomb windows + Alside patio doors I got a quote of about 11500$

When I showed the Slocomb product that I was promised to other vendors, they said a U of .22 seems like a scam.

For Vytex-Georgetown I have got a quote of about 11700$ - offerred upgrade of 3 E coating, and a U of .26

I am in the process of getting quotes for Sunrise and Soft-lite, will update the forum as I get all of them by Monday.

Any thoughts on what might be better product. Also if you have previously used a vendor in Marietta/Atlanta area and have found them to be good, please do not hesitate to suggest

Comments (9)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I can't say that I know much about the Slocumb product, but it is pretty easy to tell if the quoted ratings are a "scam" or not. Simply get the CDP # of the window and plug it in at NFRC.org, which lists the total unit u-values in their Certified Product Directory.
    Sunrise and Softlite are very good choices that I think you will like.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

It's not a scam, it is a Ufactor of .22 with a big HOWEVER..
    They are using a Hard Coat LowE coating on the most inner pane which is never a good idea. Why? It causes the Condensation Resistance number ( CR ) to go down alot. in fact, ask the salesman to show you what the CR number is. it should be AT LEAST 57 on double pane glass no lower.
    Hard coat lowE can also scratch, it can collect dust, and you can and will probably get a glare. These are some of the reasons why many companies refuse to use it.
    Best bet is triple pane glass if you want a very low Ufactor.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 10:28

• basu76
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks. I had posted this in reply to another forum, but I am sure the audience is different. Please bear with me, if you read this on another one.

i started this process about 3 days back, I am still a little dicey.
    I am kind of zeroing on Sunrise or Soflite.

Here are my window dimensions, 4 windows are tempered glass, either because they are near bath tub or are too near to the ground.
    1 - 22 x 48
    1 - 36 x 48
    4 - 48 x 48
    3 - 60 x 60
    2 - 36 x 70
    1 - 96 x 47
    1 - 60 x 45
    1 - 32 x 79
    1 - 36 x 60
    2 - 60 x 60
    1 - 6 ft patio, 1 - 9 ft patio

I got 14300$ [11175$ for windows and 3500$ for patio] , for Sunrise (Ultra Plus 12)

Softlite Elements for (13,500$ for windows) and about 4K for Patio. Softlite Bainbridge windows for about 10,500 (I didn't really like the looks that much).

Any thoughts?

• basu76
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any body know who deals with Okna/HiMark in Atlanta area?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Nobody that far down there just yet.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The Slocomb 477 is a solid offering, the Slcocomb 177 is pretty solid as well.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    8 years ago

We deal with both Slocomb 677 Series and Sunrise Restorations. The 677 is a very nice product with solid numbers .26/.21 a very thick vinyl mil thickness .08, Innergy reinforcement, triple weatherstripping, dual tech lock system, duralite spacer system, I would opt out of the surface 4 low-e that gets the u-value to a .22 though. The Sunrise brand has much more detail, slightly smaller frames, fiberglass reinforcement and block and tackle balance system. I prefer the look of the IG with Sunrise also, although the stainless steel isn't as efficient as duralite it has a nice rich look. I would put Slocomb 677 in the upper range of vinyl windows and Sunrise in the higher end do to the attention to detail.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago

Never saw the slomcomb 677, not om their website.