Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Window experts, I need help with pricing

eleena
11 years ago

You have been very helpful so far and I am wondering if you could clarify the following for me.

I am having a Marvin Integrity (all fiberglass) window installed.

Here is what the quote says:

3-0 x 6-0 Triple Casement, Fixed / Fixed / Fixed/ 1-Lite, Tempered Low-E 366 Glass, Stone white interior and exterior, Satin Nicker hardware.

So, it is a picture window made as 3 casement windows joined (welded?) together and it does not open.

If I am not mistaken, each of the casement windows with tempered glass comprising the big window is ~$490. Argon 366 and satin nickel hardware do not add that much to the overall price (something like $13 more for each window for 366 vs. Lo-E II).

I am not sure what the extra ~$500 is for. Is it for welding the windows together?

It is not only window we are replacing and I do not have any issues with all other windows, so I am not trying to be difficult, just want to understand.

And yes, I asked my "window guy" for a detailed quote but working with him has not exactly been easy, kwim?

Could you help, please?

TIA!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

There is no welding of the fiberglass windows.

They might be "mulled" together but that is something different.

What does the quote actually say?

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Says nothing other than what I copied.

Yes, mulled is the word he used (I think), I just couldn't remember. Anyway, it is whatever process Marvin uses to combine the windows into one big window.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Also a triple fixed casement unit would have no use for "satin nickel hardware" as the units do not open! How about scanning or taking a picture of the quote and posting it here with the company providing it's name blacked out as that may help us determine what they are speaking of.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sorry about the hardware. It was for other windows that operate.

Here is what the quote says:

Integrity All Ultrex Casement Windows, Stone White Exterior, Stone White Interior

***Low-E II With Argon, Satin Nickel Hardware, Screens With Charcoal Fiberglass Mesh*** (this part is for the operating windows)

Then (for the window in question):

3-0 x 6-0 Triple Casement, Fixed / Fixed / Fixed, 1-Lite, Tempered Low-E 366 Glass

I copied it directly from the invoice, there is nothing else, seriously.

I actually asked for a detailed quote but the guy told me some tail why he couldn't do it "this time". I was not feeling well that day and was so sick of the entire process, I just gave up.

I asked again on Friday - still no answer.

I need to finalize this deal, so - penny for YOUR thoughts, please!

I will not hold you responsible, I promise! :-)

• PRO
    11 years ago

Does this project consist of just the one window? Is he removing and replacing and existing unit or creating a new hole?

$2,000 (in effect) for the one window might sound a bit steep but it is treated as 3 windows as he is referencing in some cases.

That being said, for a Marvin Fiberglass Integrity, it is not out of the realm of what we see in this market.

If you can supply some more details about the install, that will help.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a full-tear replacement. The price is for the window unit only, not including installation.

I realize that it might be hard to figure out the components but if you just "guesstimate" the mulling charge for joining the 3 components, it'd give me enough info, I think.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Seems a bit steep to me in that case.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I'd agree... Not insane, but based on the info provided, I think you should be able to get a better price.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!