Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows for Beginners

Posted by Musictech (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 12:57

I have a small 50 year old house I purchased for my parents, for when they retire. It’s located in a medium income neighborhood. I have about 12 windows to replace. Half are roughly 36x53 Single Hung windows and the other half are 36x36 Sliding Windows. All are original to the house.

I am looking to replace the windows but I know nothing about windows. THV came out and priced the windows at $5500. I haven’t called anyone else to get a quote yet and looking for some advice on who to call next. $5500 seems a bit much to me compared to the $189 per window places out there but I don’t want to get junk. A bit of advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks

This post was edited by Musictech on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 12:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows for Beginners

Anything in the $189 range is going to be a junk window or a junk install. Both will net you a poor performing window.

What area/climate is the home in?

Existing windows are wood with storms, I suspect?

U-Factor, Air Infiltration, DP, VT, and SHGC are what I measure a window by on the performance end of the equation.

o

+1. At $5500 for 12 windows, that is around $450 each. That is actually a very low price for that THV product, and really a baseline (if not lower than baseline) for what you'll find for a good product installed by a reputable, quality-minded company. THV is not my favorite product, but it is a solid, high end offering and is often sold around $1000 per opening installed.

o

450 is usually the threshold for quality in my experience. When you start getting lower bids, especially sub 400, you are almost guaranteed to eventually have problems.

o

Thanks for the response. The area of the country is West Virginia/Ohio area. The original windows are wood with storm windows, the sliders are metal of some sort.

THV are quoting their vinyl/composite enforced double pane windows. The house is stick built with a red brick facade.

o

That is dirt cheap on that window. If you don't believe us, get quotes on some more high end units. I agree with the above pros, although I'd like say $500 per at minimum.

o

If I wanted to check a competitor, who would be equivalent.

Also, if I wanted to go a little lower on the price. Who should I look at?

o

You are at the baseline price for quality product, quality install, and a reputable company with a showroom, accreditations, etc. Go any lower and you will compromise one of the 3, no ifs, ands, or buts. The best scenario to find an abnormally low price would be to find a young company that is trying to get established, or an old timer with no overhead.

o

I agree with karate guy. You may also want to look for a window installer with very rich parents.
Seriously, you are already at a rock bottom price. Why push the envelope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here